Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help deciding - fix HR10-250 or ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding - fix HR10-250 or ???

I have an HR10-250 with a recent upgraded HD that definitely needs a new HDMI card and looks like it needs a new motherboard (spontaneous reboots). Looks like $260 worth of parts. At the same time I find that those slimeballs at DTV are taking three HD channels away from us HR10 users in the next couple weeks - grrrrr. My dilemma: should I put $260 into a hardware model that is being made obsolete by DTV? If not, what should I do?

It seems my choices are:
    • Spend the money and hang on with less channels until the new Tivo DTV DVR comes out
    • Get one of the new DTV non-Tivo models - they are offering a cheap upgrade including antenna but the disk space available will not meet my baseball-season requirements!
    • Bail on DTV and get a series 3 Tivo and Comcast service

I have used the new DTV DVRs and after a Tivo-based product am frankly not happy with the user interface and performance. Also, since DTV is coming out with a Tivo product later, I feel that money spent there is wasted. This means that if I do go this route it would have to be cheap.

Although I think DTV are slimeballs for obsoleting a unit I spent so much money on, I have always thought their customer service and support were good. Comcast on the other hand lied to me about the price of service for HD and DVR last time I tried them, and their support was abysmal - but if I went to them now I would go the Tivo Series 3 route and all I need from them hardware-wise is a cable card or two. That leaves figuring out how to minimize the monthly spend with them, which could possibly make the cost of the new Tivo box look small. In the long run I trust DTV more for the little stuff more than Comcast whom I feel has deceit and shoddy service in their DNA.

So, fellow Weaknees customers, anyone gone through this recently and if so, what advice do you have for me?

And are there any takers for a 500Gb upgrade drive with less than 200 hours on it?

Roger

Has nobody wrestled with this issue? Am I a dope to not just bail on Directv, get a Tivo HD and Comcast? Enquiring minds want to know.

Comment

I really like my cable unit a lot - Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, networking to my Mac, playing MP3s, etc. . . .
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Fellow Traveler

Originally posted by rknopf View Post
        Has nobody wrestled with this issue? Am I a dope to not just bail on Directv, get a Tivo HD and Comcast? Enquiring minds want to know.
        I'm in exactly the same info. HDMI port just died; had been having problems with unit freezing prior. Have 1 TB upgrade.

There's another problem- what about all those 1080i movies I already have recorded? I don't want to lose those!

Comment

Well, for previously recorded shows, as long as you remove the SAT cables prior to removing the unit from your account (or canceling your account) you should be able to keep watching those shows.

Next, we do have replacement HDMI cards for these units, and we have replacement HR10-250 hard drives which would probably fix the freezing.

So, now, you can wait for the new HD DirecTV TiVo, or go to cable. Really hard to say which to do - I'm doing both, personally.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X