External drive with SA8000HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External drive with SA8000HD?

Our SA8300HD died and the cable company provided us with an SA8000HD as a loaner (and it looks like they're letting us keep it). I have a couple of questions about external HDs.

First, do WK's externals support this unit? I assume it's SARA software because it behaves exactly like the 8300HD (actually I don't really know the difference). The WK site doesn't mention this model.

Also, if we buy an external HD from WK and hook it up to the 8000, how difficult is it to move to a replacement 8300HD when the company takes their 8000 back (or when the 8000 dies)? I expect we would lose all the programming on both the external drive and on the DVR itself, but the only circumstance in which we'd be changing it, is if we can's use the DVR and would be losing all that programming anyway (I suppose we could burn DVDs of the most critical, if the DVR were still working).

Thanks!
    =aw

If the new box has SARA, the external will work.

If you move an external from one compatible box to another, the drive gets wiped, but it is easy to move it.

Comment

Thanks, I figure the switch here will be when the 8000 dies (no idea how old it is), we'll buy or rent another 8300 or whatever's current. I suppose there's a risk the company will update, move to Motorola equipment, or something else.

I've been trying to figure out what's missing from the 8000. This article http://www.streettech.com/modules.ph...wcontent&id=50 does list some things, but at least some of them are available (e.g. % remaining space) which I think means they were fixed in software.

And actually Bell Expressvu seems to have a non-SA box, they go to great lengths not to say the manufacturer, but I know it's better than SA because we were describing all the features of our TiVo to someone with a BE satellite, and she was much less impressed than the cable-customer friends with a Rogers or Videotron SA8300.

=aw
      Last edited by tcmlover; 02-22-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X