Series 3 - Can't record HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 - Can't record HD

for the past 3 weeks, my tivo series 3 hasn't been able to record HD channels.

i have comcast cable. and have had my tivo for about 14 months without fail.
    but now when i'm watching a HD channel, the image becomes all pixelated, and/or the image will freeze and my entire Series 3 sorta locks up. The TiVo remote won't really work while this is happening. And more times then not, the Series 3 will end up rebooting. this type of behavior is the status quo about 95% of the time when viewing/recording HD channels. maybe 1 out of 20 HD shows will record correctly.

I do not have this problem if I'm watching a SD channel. So if my Series 3 is recording a SD channel i'm good. If my Series 3 is recording two SD channels I'm good. But any time I add an HD channel on either of the tuners to the mix, that's when i get the lock up on the Series 3 and the reboot.

I thought it might be my external hard drive. so I removed that from the configuration, and let the Series 3 reconfigure without the External drive, but that hasn't seem to do anything. With no External hard drive connected, I'm still getting the same Issue.

I did kickstart 57, kickstart 58, and just now did a kickstart 54. all of these tests come back normal. in particular, for the kickstart 54, i passed all the tests (initial state, short test, conveyance test, extended test, off-line scan).

I was almost sure this issue had to be a hard drive issue, but now taking the external drive out of the equation, and passing all the hard drive tests on the internal drive, i'm thinking now the hard drive isn't the issue. any thoughts on this?

Could there be something wrong with the internal working of the actual Series 3 box causing this issue?

Could it be something with my Cable Signal? Or my Cable Cards?

I'm at a loss. and not having HD sucks. Please help!

A hard drive would not have problems with HD stations only. You might want to try new CableCARDs.

Comment

dvr diagnostics

so. i just did the DVR diagnostics for the normal 3 Scenarios:

When Watching (2) SD Channels:
      Channel 11 (WTTW)
      Cablecard 2:
      Signal Strength: 100
      RS Uncorrected: 0
      RS Corrected: 0

CableCard 1:
      Channel 57 (MTV)
      Signal Stength: 100
      RS Uncorrected: 0
      RS Corrected: 0

When Watching (1) SD and (1) HD Channel:
      Cablecard 2:
      Channel 192 (WGNHD)
      RS Uncorrected: 9303
      RS Corrected: 11864

Cablecard 1:
      Channel 57 (MTV)
      RS Uncorrected: 9552
      RS Corrected: 12267

When Watching (2) HD Channels:
      Cablecard 2:
      Channel 192 (WGNHD)
      RS Uncorrected: 14418
      RS Corrected: 17028

Cablecard 1:
      Channel 188 (NBCHD)
      RS Uncorrected: 4436
      RS Corrected: 3631

I'm guessing this means my CableCards are messed up. If so, will this require a tech visit, or something I can fix on my own? or something Comcast can do over the phone with a tech?

Thanks for all the advice.
      amp

Comment

It really depends on Comcast. Sometimes they will send new cards; other times they require a visit.

Comment

Never the less its been a quite a good thing to be conscious about everything that goes around and thanks for providing an hint idea about all ..!!

Wallion..!!

Comment

The issue may be the cablecards but it may also be the actual signal. for some reason the hd channels have alot of corrected and uncorrected bytes. normally this is caused by a weak signal on the hd frequencies but it could be the cablecards. before you go through the trouble of reconfiguring new cable cards I would have comcast check the signal on those channels. they can hook up a meter and tell you if those uncorrected bytes or errors are coming in from the pole or if its something in the house like a bad splitter. hope that helps

Comment

Working...
            X