This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information

TiVo has been quietly updating the scope of the kickstart codes over the years. These codes can be pretty useful at times, especially in running the SMART tests on the TiVo's drives.

We've set up a few pages on our site with information about how to apply the codes, and what they do.

TiVo Kickstart Codes

Note that for some units, entering the kickstart area is different than for others. Please post here if you have questions or information to add!
    Been here a long time . . .

Humax DRT800 kickstart problem

I'm unable after many attempts to do a kickstart on my DRT800. It has a 300GB upgrade kit from WeakNees (sku rs300hdvd). Tested kickstart on my old Series 2 and it worked first time.

On the Humax, I'm holding pause starting with initial boot up, waiting for the red light, releasing pause and entering the kickstart code. Every time, the screen blinks once or twice and then it continues to boot up normally.

I need to test the drive because the unit is freezing up and rebooting several times per day. Forum threads seem to indicate the drive is going bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

Did you see the special note for units with DVD here?

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

Comment

Hi Michael:

Yes, it said to press pause until both lights go out and then the red light goes red. That's what I'm doing. Tried doing it quickly, more slowly and even searched forum threads for other tips. Still no luck.

Tried all the disk codes - 51 through 58. Software version is 9.3.2a-01-2-595.

Anything else I can try?

EDIT:
        Order id: #488217
        Order date: 07-26-2008 8:24:32 AM
        Last edited by kwhite; 04-29-2009, 06:03 PM. Reason: added disk order information for your reference

Comment

Does the unit otherwise boot? If not, the drive may be too dead to be able to run the codes.

Comment

Yes the TiVo boots and functions normally for a while. Then it invariably freezes and reboots by itself.

Comment

Michael: Is this upgrade still under warranty?
              Order id: #488217
              Order date: 07-26-2008 8:24:32 AM

Comment

For personal assistance, you will need to email us directly using the contact page here. This is a public forum.

Comment

I'm seeing a similar problem.....

Comment

I have a Pioneer DVR-57h and I can't enable the kickstart codes. I hold the pause button and both lights come on and go off but the red light never comes back on.....I held the pause button for so long that the remote actually turned off....what am I doing wrong? should i try to enter the code as soon as both lights come on and go off? Or is there another proper point during boot to enter in the codes? Thanks

Comment

My pioneer 810h dvd acts the same way I cant get the kickstart to work. does this work with the pioneer tivos? any one have a video of starting the kickstart?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by junkman View Post
                        My pioneer 810h dvd acts the same way I cant get the kickstart to work. does this work with the pioneer tivos? any one have a video of starting the kickstart?

thanks
                        Please see my reply to your other post.

Comment

I was having trouble, too, trying to get my TIVO HD to enter the Kickstart mode. I tried 10 times, without success, before finding the key: patience. The instructions say to press the pause button for a few moments before the red and yellow lights come on. Turns out in my case a "few moments" was 90 seconds or so. Finally the red and yellow lights came on and I pressed Kickstart code 54 for the hard drive test. Again, I thought I failed because the TIVO just kept going with powering up. Again, the key was patience. I was about ready to give up when up pops the hard drive test screen. Success! My advice: this takes longer than you think it should.

Comment

I ran the S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive test and It passed every test with the Off-line scan saying Done in 217:55 with a Test Time estimate of 190:00. I conducted the test on a Premiere XL 500GB unit. The screen has not changed in over an hour and I was wondering what I need to do to exit once completed? Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Markjy View Post
                              I ran the S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive test and It passed every test with the Off-line scan saying Done in 217:55 with a Test Time estimate of 190:00. I conducted the test on a Premiere XL 500GB unit. The screen has not changed in over an hour and I was wondering what I need to do to exit once completed? Thanks for the info.
                              You posted this same question twice and emailed it once. Please see our other responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X