Series 2 - Replace two drives w/ one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 - Replace two drives w/ one

A couple of months ago I upgraded my Tivo Series 2 using a Weaknees kit. I added a 500GB HDD to the existing 40GB HDD.

The 40GB Tivo drive is failing and I would like to remove it and just run the Tivo from the 500GB HDD I added. There doesn't appear to be a set of instructions for this scenario so I'm hoping someone here can tell me the best way to do this.

When I first upgraded my Tivo I backed up the installation. I still have the backup if I need it.

I'm just a little lost because part of the upgrade process was getting the Tivo to recognize the capacity of both HDDs (moved from 40GB to 540GB). Now that I'm downgrading I imagine there is some of that involved too AND I'm losing the primary HDD so I don't really know where to start.

Thanks for the help,

MJ

If you have the backup, you have to restore it onto the 500gb; you will lose everything. That's it.

Comment

I'm OK with that. That's it? The drive size will automatically be read by Tivo?

While I'm asking questions, could I boot into Acronis True Image to backup or restore my Tivo drive? I'm wondering if I have to use the Linux based TV software or if anything will work so long as I don't boot into Windows??

If I can use a bootable rescue program like TI then I might try imaging the bad drive, restoring my old image to the 500GB hard drive and then restoring shows from the image of the bad drive to the newly reloaded Tivo.

Thanks for the answers.

MJ

Comment

You have to restore the image in the correct way. Use upgrade-instructions.com for the restore information.

You are not going to be able to to restore the content.

Comment

Same boat - different problem

I too have a failing primary drive in my S2 after addind a second drive using the Hindsale directions a couple of years ago. I've spent all weekend on this without any love. I have a backup pre-upgrade that restores to a new single drive just fine. Although that will do in a pinch - I'd sure love to keep the Tivo OS (9.3), configurations and program subscriptions I have now.

I can make a backup of my upgraded pair drives, but I cannot get the restore to boot. I have tried restoring the backup to one drive and to two drives and the box will sit there at "Powering Up". I have even tried dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc where hdc is a replacement to my Drive A. Even though the copy is successful in LINUX, the system will not boot when returned to the Tivo. I'm an IT pro with LINUX experience and this MSF is driving me nuts. I'm certain that drive jumpers are good. I've redone the backup 3 times to make sure I've got it right.

Acronis or Ghost will not work as they both do not see the drive as having a valid partition - neither will LINUX without the MSFtools.

I'm convinced that because my previous backup restores OK, and that there is plenty of documentation at the Hinsdale site and here about going from 2 drives to one (even though you loose recorded data) and that the LINUX dd command works, that Tivo has put some sort of copy protection in the OS that prevents it from being cloned. Advices and thoughts are appreciated.

Jeff

Comment

But if your existing A drive won't boot, why should a copy of it boot?
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X