Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400GB upgrade differences from Hindsdale

Wk-Michael and Hindsdale:
    Thank you very much for all of your instructions and guidance. I finally got my Pioneer H810S Series 2 working after about 8 failed loads.

I just wanted to pass back how I got over my problems so that the Hindsdale instructions could be improved slightly.

The first problem is with a large 400GB drive the mfsrestore –s 127 parameter. I increased my swap to 300Mb (ie. –s 300) and the box seems to run much faster.

The second problem was that every time I tried to expand the small image backup using either the –x option on mfsrestore (ie. mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdX) or the mfsadd –x /dev/hdX commands, the Tivo box would keep rebooting with the GSOD.
    The problem was fixed when I found a recommendation from WK-Michael to use the –r 4 options on mfsadd. I’m not sure what a skip factor of 4 does, but it worked!!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to these instructions. My Tivo and Lifetime subscription should live a much longer life now.

Paul

Actually, if you did any value for swap greater than 127, then you probably got nothing at all, actually. There's a bug where 127 is the largest number that will work properly.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks Michael.
      Actually, I came home last night to find the Tivo hung with a video frame displayed. Rebooted, comes up fine, seems to work a bit slow, and then it ends up hanging again within an hour. Tried to use the DVD player, worked really slow (even the door open/close) and hung trying to display the first frames of the movie.
      I guess I'm going to just try to do a 'dd' for the original drive and stick with the 80GB limitation on a 400GB drive, because every time I try to expand '-x' the drive something else happens.
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
        Thanks Michael.
        Actually, I came home last night to find the Tivo hung with a video frame displayed. Rebooted, comes up fine, seems to work a bit slow, and then it ends up hanging again within an hour. Tried to use the DVD player, worked really slow (even the door open/close) and hung trying to display the first frames of the movie.
        I guess I'm going to just try to do a 'dd' for the original drive and stick with the 80GB limitation on a 400GB drive, because every time I try to expand '-x' the drive something else happens.
        Paul
        This is almost certainly the lack of a properly initialized swap as Michael indicated. You can go back and do the whole thing again with -s 127, or initialize the large swap with tpip. Either way will work. I wouldn't give up and skip expansion.

You could always try the weaknees instructions, which are up to date and should work with no changes. Just follow the instructions exactly. Don't make substitutions on the swap size.

Comment

Thanks WKs: using -s 127 on mfsrestore for the swap setting worked.
          I did have a problem using the www.weaknees.com/weakees_lba_boot_cd.iso. It would only recognize ~130GB (147 hours) on my new 400GB Seagate. I went back to the Tiger’s Mfs Tools Boot CD 11.5MB (MFSLBA48) and it recognized the whole 400GBs. In any case, all is well, I have over 400 hours of recording time and the box is working great. I really appreciate all of your help.
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X