swm8 wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swm8 wiring

I just bought a SWM8 because I want to hook up my R16 dvr to an outlet that does not have 2 output cables. The house was prewired and I cannot add another wire to this outlet. I currently have one HD DVR hooked up to an outlet with 2 wires and 2 additional boxes. There is currently a 4x8 multiswitch hooking up all the wires in the media wiring panel. Can someone please explain in simple terms how to hook this up and if I can hook this up. I couldn't figure it out from the wiring diagram.

The wiring diagrams should be pretty clear...did you see:

SWM Wiring Diagrams

You have to replace the 4x8 with the SWM...and you shouldn't even have a 4x8 if you have an HD dish now, by the way.

See this diagram specifically:

Wiring one SWM with two DIRECTV receivers using a 1x2 splitter
    Last edited by WK-Jeff; 04-23-2009, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Didn't work

Tried to install today following the wiring diagram that you attached, and it did not work. When I went to set up the satellite, the meters read 0 on several of the bands. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I just want to hook up my DTV DVR, but only have one line in the room and am unable to add a line. I have a SWM8 and a SWS8WB-P. What am I missing?

Comment

Did you remove the B-Band converters from your units?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes. Even the regular non HD non DVR receiver did not work.

Comment

What type of dish do you have now?

Comment

I have a Calamp Model # 151647 Slimline Multi Sat KA/KU LNB

Comment

can someone please help?

Originally posted by sgs67 View Post
                I have a Calamp Model # 151647 Slimline Multi Sat KA/KU LNB
                Can someone please help with this?

Comment

You have the right dish, but all you have told us so far is that you are wiring in accordance with the diagram. We really need more information for us to help you. How is everything wired? What are the distances between all pieces of equipment (dish, swm, receivers)? If you connect only ONE SWM-compatible receiver, what happens then?

Without more information, we cannot be of any assistance.

Comment

What model is your HD-DVR and other receivers? You might need to do the force downloading of software on each receivers, especially if your HD receiver is H20.

If you had H10 (older model of HD receiver), connect it to the legacy port and not on the SWM line.

Comment

The main goal I am trying to achieve is to be able to run 2 DVR's. One of the rooms has two cables running to it already so that dvr is running fine, I currently have a HR21 on that connection. The other DVR is a R16, but does not have 2 cables available. I have no problem switching the rooms for these receivers if that will solve the problem. The home is a brand new build with all rooms prewired. Everything works fine the way the DTV tech wired it, just not when I try to change out the multiswitch with the SWM. And yes, I am putting all the wires in the correct order.

Comment

When you install the SWM, are you disconnecting one of the cables to your DVR and removing the b-bands?

Comment

Yes. There are no B-bands connected and using only one cable, have tried both inputs just in case one of them worked.

Comment

Again, I'd suggest you concentrate on only ONE DVR. Disconnect everything else. SWM1 output to power supply, then power supply to the sat1 port of your HD DVR. Then do a red button reset and check the satellite configuration to be sure it's set up as a SWM.

Comment

Just to be clear, all of my cables are in one central box, with runs through out the house from there. This being said, I would connect the SWM1 output to the power supply, then the power supply to the SWS8WB-P (8 way splitter) input, which should convert all to SWM correct? I will still try to get only one DVR to work, but I wanted to be sure I did everything correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X