Freezing on some channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing on some channels

I am getting some freezing every 20 seconds or so on certain channels. The ones I am noticing are the movie channels in the 500's, mostly the HD ones.

On all units on your SWM?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

yeah, just one unit connected to the SWM port. Other one is hooked to legacy (older receiver)

Comment

So how long is the run? Have you tried a red-button reset?

Comment

yeah, I have reset it with no luck. The run is about 20 feet.

Comment

Had you used it before the SWM? Can you run it from a direct satellite lead?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              Had you used it before the SWM? Can you run it from a direct satellite lead?
              used the receiver before the SWM ? yes if that is what you are asking.

This is how I have everything setup. There is a grounding block outside that connected the cables from the dish to the cables coming out of the house before I Installed this. I ran the 4 cables from the sat dish directly to the SWM8. Then ran one cable going from the SWM1 port and 2 cables from the legacy ports (old dvr receiver) into the grounding block.

The TV that is freezing is approx 10feet from the swm, but there are 2 walls

I am wondering if the cable in the walls (from the tv that is freezing) is not up to par or something. I know the cables on the non HD tv that is hooked to the Legacy ports is fine because DTV put those in. Prior to the SWM8 install I never had any issues and get a good signal.

Also wondering if I could just bypass the grounding block all together and just ground everything onto the SWM8 ?

Comment

It's definitely worth a shot. The grounding block may have problems with the wide signal range that SWM technology uses.

Next, you may not have proper RG6 cable there. The spec calls for RG6, solid copper core cable.

Comment

I am thinking it may be just the f connectors. I crimped them but wonder if the cables are slipping on them. Might try those F compression connectors too.

Comment

okay, I put things back to normal temporarily and changed my setup back to

dish: Slimline-5
                    switch: multiswitch
                    Tuner: Single

It then verifies your installation and I get a message that says "no signal available on tuner 2" even though I set it up for single tuner. 2 of the satellites have a red X by them under "Odd (13v)" sat 99 and 103

It did this when I first upgraded to the HR22 from the H20.........I just selected continue and everything works fine. I am getting all the channels with no problems.

Comment

Then, my guess is, you have a bad crimp or a cable that isn't up to spec. The SWM system uses a much wider range of frequencies, so it's more demanding on cables and connectors. You need to use solid copper core RG6 and the full-frequency connectors that you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                        Then, my guess is, you have a bad crimp or a cable that isn't up to spec. The SWM system uses a much wider range of frequencies, so it's more demanding on cables and connectors. You need to use solid copper core RG6 and the full-frequency connectors that you can find.
                        thanks for the help. I am going to put on the compression f connectors tomorrow and see if it's better. Then replace the cable if that doesn't do the trick.

Comment

looks like I am going to have to upgrade the cable from the dish to the house. Should be easy as the dish is on the ground on a pole. Can you recommend a good place to buy some cable?

Comment

Working...
                          X