Buying a TIVO without a hard drive - can I reuse existing drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a TIVO without a hard drive - can I reuse existing drives

My trusty DirecTV DSR708 tivo started pixellating and random rebooting, so I ordered a new weaknees 500hour hard drive and replaced it. The drive replaced was a weakness 300 hour that was less than a year old, that had replaced the original tiny drive that had failed hard. In that process had to ditch an add on 160 hour weaknees upgrade B drive.

With the new 500 hour drive, it is still pixellating and random rebooting, sometimes several times an hour. Guess it could be the tuner but I'm just about fed up with the thing now. I have a stack of hard drives, the 160, 300, and the week old 500 that are probably all good.e

I'd like to order a weaknees refurb directv tivo WITHOUT a drive, is there any way I can use one of the stack of drives I have? My understanding is that once
    they have been plugged into a TIVO they can't be used in another TIVO.
    I don't care about preserving any recordings.

Yes, you can definitely re-use the drive in a bare unit. You just have to do a "clear and delete everything" once it's in the new unit, to get it to re-serialize to the new motherboard. Otherwise, you'll get an error 51.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Any way to save existing recordings?

I just had to replace my receiver, as well, and want to use my existing hard drive(it's larger than the stock one) in the new unit. Is there anyway to save my recordings or is the delete everything and reset the only option?

P.S. This forum rocks! I've learned so much. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry to say, that's the only way to get the drive to work in most TiVos. The exception would be for Series 1, non-DirecTV units. Those can move drives without this problem.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X