Request help with upgrade that shows no additional hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request help with upgrade that shows no additional hours

My HW is a DirecTV Sony SAT-T60 upgraded from original 40GB drive to Western Digital Caviar 80GB, and containing a Cache Card. It has been working fine, except that I think the 80GB hard drive is about to fail. Single hard disk only.

Today I attempted an upgrade from the 80 GB to a WD Caviar 160 GB drive, using the long method (preserve existing recorded programming).

I followed Hinsdale Upgrade Config #3 with the following exceptions:

1-Both the source and target drives are jumpered as 'master with slave present'. They are connected to the correct primary and secondary ports. I left them jumpered this way because it worked this way for the cache card install and several backups.

2. MFS Tools 2.0 sees the old 80GB drive as hdc. It sees the new 160GB drive as hda

3. MFS tools scanned the source drive and reported that there is not enough room on the target drive by itself to do the restore.

4. I changed the command issued to MFS Tools from:
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda
    to:
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hda
    Same result--same error.

5. Decided to try to dd the drives. I followed Option 3 (limited use) but changed the command from:
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k
    to
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda bs=1024k (see #2 above)

Results:
    1. The dd ran for about an hour. The 'blocks in' and 'blocks out' matched, but it reported an I/O error from the source drive.

2. I put the TiVo back together and it booted and ran uneventfully. The recorded programming transferred over. All functions I tried worked normally.

The issue:
    Messages and Settings/System Info shows 'variable, up to 67 hours'. This is a bit less time than I had with the old drive. I rebooted the TiVo once, but no change.

I am suspicious of the jumper settings described above. I also don't really understand 'expanding' the bigger drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

m9ke

You shouldn't lose any time in a 'dd' at all - I'm really not sure how that could happen. How recently had you checked the time with the old drive? 67 hours for an 80 GB drive sounds about right, and updates to the OS can change the amount of hours that the System Information shows.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Also, just an FYI, in case you thought you'd get more hours after the 'dd', you don't since it's just a copy. You'd need to use mfsadd. But even that won't work here since you have no more partitions to add.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Re: uprade, no more hours

Thank you Michael for your replies!

The only reason I went to the dd route is that MFS Tools 2.0 reported that there was not enough room on the (brand new) 160GB drive to restore from the 80GB drive. (#'s 3 and 4 in my original post).

At that point I became concerned that I might have inadvertently switched source and target. I carefully verified they were connected as required. Twice I verified this before proceeding.

This error from MFS Tools puzzles me because I verified that MFS Tools sees reasonable numbers for both drives by Shift-Page Upping after MFS tools loaded.

Since I knew there *had* to be room on the new drive to restore, I tried dd.

Something is definitely amiss here, potentially an oversight on my part. Although the TiVo seems to be working, an unknown glitch like this concerns me. Plus I would like to get all the hours I can, of course.

Do you think the difference in my jumper settings might be the culprit (#1 in my OP)? Or what would you recommend as a next step in troubleshooting this issue?

Comment

Re: uprade, no more hours

Thought some more about this, and read thru all the posts in this forum that sound similar.

Maybe it does make sense that I lost time using dd. dd doesn't know anything about TiVo or Media File System (MFS).

So if I say 'dd this little disk to that large disk', wouldn't dd just copy the partition(s) at their existing size from the little disk to the big one?

But MFS Tools does know about TiVo and is certainly smart enough to know to make little media partition(s). I think the way to solve this issue might end up being figuring out why MFS Tools mistakenly thinks there is not enough room on the big disk for the restore.

Also, I see on the web that MFSLive Linux Boot CD v 1.4 was released on 02/01/09. I wasn't familiar with this utility till now. Could this work better than MFS Tools 2.0 on my ancient DirecTv Sony Sat T-60 running TiVo software v 3.5d? (My TiVo upgrade computer runs Ubuntu, not Windows).

Any thought would be much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          X