Hard Drive or Power Supply or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive or Power Supply or?

Hoping someone can help here. Have a TCD24008A/80G Tivo...had an electrical storm last week and got the dreaded 'Powering Up....' screen as a permanent feature. Assumed that it was 90% most likely the hard drive finally gone. ordered and installed a replacement from Weaknees (Western Digital 160G with preloaded software etc)...installed but alas still just stares back at me with same grey screen. Drive spins, light on front and fan work, small LED on back of SATA to IDE adaptor lights when connected, and video out is working....could this be a power supply problem? Or could there be another explanation. I dont have a tower system or second Tivo at home so not really able to do more complex checks on disk, but assume new one is ok. Any advice welcome.

Did you swap out the IDE cable with the new one we sent?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes tried the new ide cable in place of the current/old one...didn;t seem to make a difference..

Comment

Is the jumper in place on the SATA/IDE adapter?

Comment

Yes jumper on (ie little black connector slotted on 2 contacts on bottom righthand side of adaptor underneath power connector.) Also new cable connected with blue onto motherboard and black into drive, with gray left disconnected.

Comment

Well, then, sorry to say, it looks like you have a bad power supply or motherboard.

Something like 95% of these situations are drives, maybe 4% are bad power supplies, and the remaining trickle are motherboards.

Power supplies are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Comment

ok thanks...if I try and change out the power supply and this still doesn;t work...can I get a refund on that plus the drive if I return them? - restocking I presume?

Comment

Yup - $15 restocking fee on those.

Comment

Working...
                X