No announcement yet.

Can't get SWM-8 to do anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is probably late but i just found this site sorry.. Try resetting your your receiver. If you have it set up correctly you should not be able to change the dish type or tuner type. sounds like your receiver is not detecting the SWM.

Comment

I agree that the receiver is not detecting the SWM. So, the receiver is bad (works without the SWM), the cables are bad (work without the SWM), the dish is bad (works without the SWM) or the SWM / Power Inserter is bad. I have returned the SWM and Power Inserter for testing and will report the results when I have them.

Comment

I finally returned to this project. (My wife was tired of the 4 hour debugging sessions!) With a new SWM-8 and power inserter in hand, I tackled the installation. It worked! In the process of tucking the wires away, I pulled one of the connectors loose. Fixed it. It didn't work. I put the legacy configuration back in place and waited for another boss-approved debugging session interval.... Reinstalled everything. It didn't work. Replaced all the cable ends. It worked! 24 hours of peace, then the rains from Claudette knocked out power to my area. Of course, the only thing NOT on a UPS was the power inserter, so the SWM went down. When I brought everything back online, it didn't work. A slow, methodical, 5 minutes between power inserter, receiver, receiver, ... and now everything is working again.

For the moment, everything is good. I'm guessing the SWM takes longer to boot than I would have guessed and the SWM signal is VERY sensitive to weak cable connections. Bottom line, the SWM gear was probably good all along and the problem was old cable ends and insufficient time between powering on pieces of gear.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

The SWM definitely uses a very wide range of frequencies, so yes, it's pretty sensitive to cable crimps and also to things like stranded instead of solid core wire.

Glad you got it up and running!
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Similar issue

How long does it take for the swm to boot? I usually have issues when there is a power outage. The are times when I wait hours before I reboot the swm, then I also wait a good while before I power on my receivers. Is this normal?

Thanks

Comment

It should take less than a minute, max. Each unit then needs to boot on its own sometimes to make sure they don't try to get overlapping SWM assignments.

Comment

back up and running

well it working now...i really didnt do anything different but after two days of troublehooting it's back up...I know i am going to have the same issue if there is another outage.

I wish i could put a UPS but i dont know if it will take the south texas heat.

I guess i need to measure the cables, I think you mentioned that they cant be under 18 inches right? I might have a couple, swm -> PI & PI -> SWM Splitter

Comment

A small, cheap UPS on the SWM Power Inserter does sound like a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X