SWM-8 Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM-8 Wiring Question

I'm wanting to replace my WB68 with an SWM-8. Here's my question. I'll need to run 1 wire to a bedroom on SWM1/PWR output of SWM-8 to the PI and then to the IRD. This will give me power to the SWM-8 and 2 tuners to an HR22-100.

Then on SWM2 output of SWM-8 to a 1 X4 splitter. Then run 3 cables to each of my 3 remaining HR2x DVRS. That will leave me with one port on the 1 X 4 splitter remaining.

My question is do you have to terminate any unused ports on the 1 X 4 or 1X 8 splitters that aren't being used, like you have to terminate the SWM2 output that is not in use?

Thanks for your help

Dave

Yes; you need voltage blocking terminators on the unused ports of the splitters.

Comment

Are these sold on Weaknees, i couldn't find them referenced on the SWM page.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Most 1x4s ship with them. Do you have the parts already?

When you order, just specify in the notes that you need a terminator and we'll make it happen.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Speaking of terminating..... do you need to terminate the legacy ports on the swm8?

and thanks for everything!!! you guys are great!!!!!

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by KURT View Post
            Speaking of terminating..... do you need to terminate the legacy ports on the swm8?

and thanks for everything!!! you guys are great!!!!!

Kurt
            No, you don't.

Comment

Thanks.... got it all hooked up and it works GREAT!! thanks for everything you guys!!!!!!

Comment

Swm8

This what i have, 1 HD DVR and 1 SD set top box, I want to add 1 HD DVR, 1 HD box and 2 SD boxes. From what i have read about this box i will only need 1 input (SAT 1) into each of the HR20's or does both need to be used in order to take advantage of the recording capabilities that I currently have with the HR20? Will it work with both SAT 1 and SAT 2 being used? What about the BBC's? Should they be removed or left in place?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich23 View Post
                  This what i have, 1 HD DVR and 1 SD set top box, I want to add 1 HD DVR, 1 HD box and 2 SD boxes. From what i have read about this box i will only need 1 input (SAT 1) into each of the HR20's or does both need to be used in order to take advantage of the recording capabilities that I currently have with the HR20? Will it work with both SAT 1 and SAT 2 being used? What about the BBC's? Should they be removed or left in place?
                  Please see the wiring diagrams and information on one of these websites. The notes on the diagrams answer those questions and many more. In short, you need to connect only one wire and you don't use BBCs.

SWM Wiring Diagrams and Information

SWM Wiring Diagrams and Information

Comment

terminators didn't ship with my 1x4 splitters

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                    Most 1x4s ship with them. Do you have the parts already?

When you order, just specify in the notes that you need a terminator and we'll make it happen.

I ordered 2 1x4 splitters for my install. i didn't get the terminator with the splitters. how do i get them now? i was planning to install the SWM8 this weekend. can i do it without terminating the extra ports on the 1x4 splitters?

Comment

How many ports do you have open? In most cases, you can leave half open or more with no problem.

Otherwise, email us at [email protected] with your order number and we'll figure out what we can do.

Comment

thanks. 5 out of 8 ports will be used. more later

Comment

I got your email and I'm sending out four terminators today.

Comment

i got the terminators in the mail. thanks the install went great. looking to put a few more tv's up now. Direct TV should push the SWM it just means more DVR reciever sales.

Comment

Right - but it also costs them a lot more money . . . but hopefully as the technology becomes more widespread, the price will drop.

Comment

Working...
                              X