TiVi S2 Reformat Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVi S2 Reformat Problems

I'm trying to reformat a Weaknees Maxtor 160Gb from a dead Sony SVR-3000 as a replacement drive for a Tivo S2 140060.

I'm using a Sony Vaio XP host computer with Prim Master (hda) (C:&D Maxtor 250Gb, the target Maxtor 160Gb as Primary Slave (hdb) and two DVD/CD players as Sec. Master (hdc) and Slave (hdd).

The Weaknees boot CD booted Lenix, and I pressed ENTER (instructions should mention that). I looked upward and saw that all the drives were properly identified and sized.

I entered, "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt"

Got "kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k nls-iso8859-1 errno = 2"
    "NTFS Warning! volume version is Win2K+ !Mounting read-only"

Pressing on, I entered, "mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdb"

Got "/mnt/backup.bak read-only file system"

Do I even need these commands? I just want to reformat the target drive. Can I go right to, "mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdb"

Help please - Curt

I don't understand. Where are you putting the source for S2 140060? Is that the 250gb?

Comment

Source?

Jeff,
      I actually assumed that the proper formating data is on the bootable Weaknees CD I created. If storage is required on the Sony host computer, there is plenty of room on the D: portion of the 250 Gb drive, which is NTFS, or I have another 300Gb NTFS drive that is usually the Primary Slave, and there is a 500Gb eSata drive.

I can connect the drives as required to get the Tivo S2 drive reformatted.

Curt

Comment

No. You need good software from the working drive from your 140060. If you follow the instructions on the upgrade instructions website, you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Then I may have a problem. The drive from the Tivo S2 140060 failed and I can't read from it. I have a drive from a Sony S2 SVR-3000 that I bought from Weaknees. I had hoped that I could DIY reformat that Maxtor 160Gb drive for the Tivo S2 140060 using the downloaded Weaknees CD.

Does the system transfer require that the original drive still be readable? Is my only choice to send the Maxtor 160Gb drive back to Weaknees with $55 to be reformated from Sony S2 to Tivo S2 140060?

Thanks, Curt

Comment

That's what I'd recommend.

Comment

That may be the best course, but is it POSSIBLE to reformat a Weaknees Maxtor 160Gb HD from use in a Sony S2 SVR-3000 to make it work as the HD in a Tivo S2 140060? Is it possible to use the Weaknees download to create a Weaknees CD that would do this on a host XP computer with NTFS drives? Did I just make incorrect selections on my first attempt?

Thanks, Curt

Comment

No, it's not possible. You need the right TiVo software. If you follow the instructions on the upgrade instructions website, you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Jeff - I tried putting the original WD 60Gb drive back in the Tivo S2 140060. Now it is booting and operating just fine. I downloaded and ran the Seatools software and it said the WD drive was OK, although wth 43K hrs. The problem may turn out to be the 140060 Power Supply problem and show up again.

But while I've got it open, I'd like to replace the WD 60Gb with the Maxtor 160Gb HD that I got from Weaknees for the Sony SVR-3000. So I need to reformat the Maxtor 160Gb for the Tivo S2 140060. Now I have a working drive to copy, but I don't have a FAT32 partition on my host computer. I see that I can use Maxtor MaxBlast to reformat the Maxtor 160Gb to FAT, then use it to store the backup, but I'd like to retain a backup of the Tivo S2 140060 OS from the WD 60Gb onto my host computer NTSC HD, or on a CD. How do I do that?

I thought I saw a WinXP version of MSFtools, but I can't find it again. Does it support NTSC? Can I just use a Windows backup program like Norton Ghost while I have the WD 60Gb plugged into the host PC?

Thanks, Curt

Comment

Just use the tools to do a direct copy from the 60 to the 160 and keep the 60 as the backup:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com
                    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

That worked for the HD transfer Michael. Thanks. Keeping an eye on the power supply...

Curt

Comment

Excellent! Tell us if you have any other problems.
                        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X