Diplexer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplexer Problem

I installed a SWM8, and the Directv works fine. I added an off air antenna to the off air input on the SWM8. When I add the diplexer to split the sat. and off air signal, inside the house. I still get sat., but no signal on the off air side. I am using the diplexer that weeKnees recommended. If I run a cable from the off air antenna directly to the TV, I get a very good signal. I tried a different brand of diplexer and I'm still having the same problem. Any idea's what the problem could be?

Have you tried using the SWM cable at the receiver directly into the OTA port? Don't leave it that way, but try it as a test.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I tried it, still no signal.

Comment

So maybe it's not on the right port on the SWM?

Comment

I have the antenna connected to the "OFF-AIR" port on the SWM. I double checked it to make sure. Could the SWM be faulty?

Comment

We've never seen that, but it's possible.

You aren't using a legacy port here, are you?

Comment

No legacy ports are being used. I have I one reciever hooked up to the "SWM/PWR" port, and this is the one with the power inserter connected to it. I also have another reciever hooked up to the "SWM2" port. I tried off air reception on both, and no signal on both.
              I am using a Zeinth converter box for the off air, because the tv is an older one.

Comment

If the SWM cable had worked directly is there any reason it shouldn’t be left that way besides the obvious no Directv service?

Comment

So I skipped the off air port on the SWM and used a diplexer out side to join the off air with the sat. Then of course a diplexer inside, to split the signals. I am having the same result, no signal. Having bypassed the SWM to do this, I believe that rules out the SWM as the problem. What do you think?
                  It works if the antenna is ran direct to the converter box, so I would assume that the converter box is the problem, for what ever reason it does not like the diplexers.

Comment

That sounds right.

Just to be sure, if you just barrel-connect the OTA line to the SWM/PWR line and take out the SWM and the power inserter, do you get signal with and without the diplexers?

Where is the Zenith box - at the TV?

Comment

Yes the Zenith box is at the TV.
                      If I run the OTA through the SWM/PWR line with the PWR inserter removed, I get a good signal. I can run it straight through the SWM2 port and get a good signal also. But I add in the SWM8 or a diplexer and no signal.

Comment

So I hooked up a rabbit ear type antenna to the zenith box and I get 8 channels, and one is our only local channel. So I will just go that route. I can now get our local news, which is the only reason I wanted the OTA channels anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

OK - interesting that the Power Inserter, or all things, is what seems to be blocking your OTA. If you want, we could swap that out.

Comment

I kind of think it might be in the zenith box. The only way it works is to have the antenna hooked directly to the box without anything in between. Regardless off which combination of SWM, power inserter or diplexer I throw in there.

Comment

So maybe it needs a more powerful signal? Seems like it's overly sensitive, but that could be it.

If you're using an HD DVR there, you might consider an AM21:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-directv-parts.php

Comment

Working...
                              X