Tivo HD All Lights Blinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tivo HD All Lights Blinking

So I woke up this morning and my Tivo HD, which is about 1.5 years old, had every light blinking and no signal to my tv. By every light I mean green, red, blue, FIXED, NATIVE, HYBRID and the ethernet lights on the back. Also, it makes this odd buzzing sound each time it blinks. They're all blinking in unison about once or twice a second.

So I unplugged it before I went to work and plugged it back in when I got home. Same problem. Any ideas? Is my tivo just fried?

I'm sorry to say this, but I think your TiVo is fried. Blinking lights on the front are never a good sign.

Comment

So I opened it up to find out where the weird "buzzing" noise was coming from. It sounds more like an arcing current than a buzz I think. Anyways, it's coming from the power supply side near the transformer and large capacitor. Not sure which component it is exactly. I can't see any visible arcing though.

Do you think it's worth replacing the power supply? Or should I just pick up a refurb off the tivo site?

Comment

It is probably worth trying a power supply--they are returnable within 30 days (15% min $15 restocking fee), especially if you have lifetime TiVo service.

Comment

Hey,

Just wanted to give a quick update. I got my new power supply today, installed it and my tivo is working like a charm again.

Thanks for all your help. Saved me $100.

Comment

Great - glad that did the trick!
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Had the same problem with an HD XL. We had a Belkin surge protector on the Tivo, and we had a power outage. When the power came back on, all the lights on the front were blinking, with an audible clicking. Granted the TiVo is 9yo, but it seemed like a strange coincidence that the power would go out and get past the (admittedly cheap) Belkin surge protector. But this thread pointed me towards a new power supply. Sure enough, a few capacitors were bulging, and the new power supply did the trick. Thanks for everything! Tivo is back!

Comment

Great - old thread, current advice! Glad your TiVo is back in action. Those Series3s are real work-horses.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X