WD DVR expander + Weaknees internal upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD DVR expander + Weaknees internal upgrade

I have a Tivo HD system that I bought through Weaknees that had an one of their upgraded hard drives. I didn't read the forums before going out and buying one of those 1TB Western Digital DVD Expanders, but now I understand from the forums that you can't add an external device if you upgraded the internal drive.

In my case, when I boot up the Tivo recognizes that there is an external drive, but when I click to add it and reboot the system it never actually recognizes it and goes into a loop where it tells you to approve adding the drive to the Tivo. It never actually adds it.

So, is there a way that I can still use this external DVD Expander drive or am I screwed?

Well, there's no way to do it with the remote.

But you can send us everything and we can do it here. Email us at [email protected] for more info and pricing.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, thanks for the response. I think I'll just return the external drive and whenever I get a new Tivo from you guys I'll mack it out with space.

Comment

Yup - one big internal is really our most recommended solution. Fewer points of failure, less noise, heat, and power . . .

Comment

Michael - Do you guys keep a record of what computer you initialized my new big internal drive with (bought it a few weeks back?) Like Sanity, I have a WD DVR Expander that I'm not using anymore, but I was curious if I could send it to you. However, now that my TiVo is working again, I was hoping to not have to send the TiVo along with it!

Comment

Don't know what you mean - why does the computer matter?

Comment

Is this still the case

I just spent a day trying to do this with mfslive and winmfs to no avail. Is there any fix for this or does it still require sending the internal and external to you?

Comment

The 'fix' is to send the internal and external to us to have the drives paired.

Comment

Weaknees internal hard drive upgrade makes existing external expander drive useless

Gotta say, Weaknees, you guys do yourself a huge disservice by not making it explicit in your sales info that external drives no longer function when upgrading to a Weaknees internal HD. I have, or used to have, a 1TB WD expander drive. Had I known it would be rendered useless by the upgrade, I would've purchased a bigger internal drive putting more money in your pocket. The fact that I didn't know, because it's not made clear, makes me question your integrity. And offering to pair the drives - at a cost - after the fact, strikes me as a bit of a scam.

Comment

Sorry for the disappointment. If you'd like to return and reorder a larger drive, we'd be happy to waive the restocking fee.

Comment

What exactly do you do that we can't do ourselves to "pair the drives"?

I agree with Louis that it should be make explicit somewhere on the internal drive info. I spent a few hours trying to get it to work. Glad I found this thread, but would like to be able to fix it myself rather than disassemble everything and send it back.

Comment

It's just a technical reworking of the partition mapping. We just don't have any end-user tools for this.

Comment

Working...
                        X