Green Light Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Light Problems

I am trying to install my SWM. The problem seems to be with the power supply. With nothing connected to the power supply the green light comes on. As soon as I plug the cable from the SWM1 port to the SWM port on the power supply and plug it in, I get no light, and no joy from my receivers?? Football season starts tomorrow...Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
    Chris

Edit* I also want to say I've checked all the connections from the dish to the SWM and the SWM to the PI. They all look good and feel tight.
    Last edited by obxspook; 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM.

Weird - the light goes out when you attach it to the SWM? Are you using RG6 solid-copper-core cable?

If so, you might have a grounding issue in the system.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Funny you should mention that...I had RG6Q. I thought I had a spool of RG6. Bought some new RG6 and lo and behold the PI works. (at least the green light is on). I've checked the voltage at the SWM from the PI and I'm getting 29. The cable to the splitter from the IRD is more than 18 inches (about 7 feet). I have all my b-bands off, and boxes unplugged. I plug in the PI, give it a few mins to do what ever it needs to do, then plug in one receiver (an HR20-700) I've changed my dish settings to "slimline-5", "SWM", and "Dual". It's plugged into the SAT 1 connection. I have no idea what else to try, or how to test what's going on.

Comment

Is your receiver off when you plug it into the SWM? Are you connecting only one receiver at a time? You should plug in only one--get it to work--then move onto the next, assuming you have more than one.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly how I'm doing it. Tomorrow, I'm going to try running it straight from the PI bypassing the splitter in case that's the problem. I've verified the 4 connections from the sat to the SWM. I was able to boot and get a signal, so I think I've taken the PI, the LNB's and cables from the SAT, out of the equation. I also know the cable from the SWM down to the PI is working. There aren't but so many things it could be...I'll keep at it and keep at it.

Comment

OK - the splitter could be the problem, so tell us what you find.

Comment

Well this AM I plugged my receiver directly to the IRD port on the PI (no splitter). It's still a no go. So either the PI or the SWM are bad. Is there anything else I should test, or should I pack this back up for a trip out west?

Comment

You're definitely using the red ports to get the power to the SWM?

Is the light still going out on the PI when you attach the receiver?

Comment

Yes, red ports. The light is on now when I plug in the PI. It came on once I started using quality RG6 cable.

Comment

That's a good sign.

So is it all RG6 all the way from the receiver through the PI and SWM to the dish?

Comment

Good news. I was troubleshooting more throughout the day, and I discovered that I wasn't even getting a signal to two of the boxes. The connectors looked pretty sketchy so I decided to cut them all off and start over(from the dish down). A trip to home depot for more compression fittings, and everything is WORKING!! Now I just need to neaten everything up and grab a beer! Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Excellent news (about the beer!).

Connectors can be the trouble spot.

Comment

I just read this thread and had an answer, but as I read to the end, it was answered, lol. I had the same problem and I also had a bad line from the LNB to the SWM. I found this out by measuring my signal strengths on each of the individual lines from the LNB to the SWM. One had a error on the measurement.

Comment

The SWM system is definitely more sensitive to cabling issues than older multiswitches, since it uses more bandwidth.

Comment

Working...
                            X