• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad drive replacement

After using:

hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hdc
    hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda bs=1024

to clone my original 9 hour Tivo Series 1 drive onto a new 80 hour drive the new drive still indicated only 9 hours. I realized that I didn't run the expansion command. Can I run mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda alone with just the new drive in the computer and have it expand the drive without the original drive installed and if not what command can I use with just the new drive in the computer?

mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/hda should work

Comment

Thanks, Jeff, it did work although I may have to start over and reimage the drive because it only reported about 88 1/2 hours instead of 90. I had started the mfsrestore command and interrupted it with a Ctrl-Alt-Del command then ran the mfsadd command. It is probably not a big deal but why waste the space. Since I have three Tivos I can afford the down time.

Comment

Yeah, interrupting an mfsrestore would be unlikely to result in a working drive.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Actually, I had already imaged the drive and as I said the result was just a copy of the 9 hour drive. It functioned correctly other than just not reporting the expanded size. I just ran the mfsrestore without the copy command and apparently it didn't over write the data but after running mfsadd it did expand the drive to just over 88 hours. I will probably redo the whole process sometime soon and do it correctly this time.

Comment

OK - really, the mfsrestore is overwriting any previous imaging (or anything else on the drive).
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X