Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2: Replacing 2 drives with a single

Hi everyone,

I have a Series 2 with a dual drive setup from about 4 years ago, with two 160GB drives. The drives are full, so I'd like to backup the recordings and season passes and restore that to a single 1TB drive (with IDEtoSATA adapter from WeaKness).

Is this possible to do?

If I followed the interactive instructions, I'd need 5 IDE ports (1 CDR, 1 winHD, 2 tivo, 1 new tivo). Since the new tivo drive is sata, I could put it on the SATA connector, but wasn't sure how to address it in linux. I could also look into creating the MFStools cd onto USB, which would free up a IDE port.

Thanks in advance for your help. My wife would kill me if I lost all the recordings, so hopefully you won't say that's my only option...

thanks

MJ

That generally won't work - you can't go from two expanded drives to one, and keep recordings. You can do it with keeping settings, but not recordings.

To do it settings-only, use "-so" in place of "-Tao"

To address the SATA drive, you'd use some variation of:

/dev/sda

or

/dev/sdb
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hi Michael, thanks for your quick reply

I was reading the Hinsdale instructions to do a direct transfer (without the backup file) and was wondering why this won't work?

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

with hdc being the new single A drive.

is there a problem going from 2 drives to 1 that will make this not work? Thanks in advance!

Comment

You can try and see - likely it'll error out. If it does, you can try it again without the "x" but I still think you'll have too many partitions.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X