SWM8 and STS diagram questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM8 and STS diagram questions

I’m assisting my sister whose husband recently passed away. They were in the process of building a rather large house which is still unfinished after almost two years.
    In particular I’m helping her prepare for the installation of a number of TVs (4 at present) which will use DirecTV. Per my inspection of the almost completed construction, I find that a single RG6 coax cable has been run from the attic to each of the targeted TV set locations. I doubt that the installer was aware of the SWM8 at the time but I’m certainly glad the equipment exists now. I have a number of questions to which I need answers to help me plan for the upcoming TV installation. From what I have learned from your forum, your web site, and the SWM8 web site, it appears I will need to recommend a combination of the SWM8 multiswitch and the appropriate STS-2/4/8 splitters to connect the infrastructure to a DirecTV AU9-S or AU9-SLM.

- The house is located far out in the country. The DirecTV service they currently have to the old house adjacent to the new construction has no local channels or HD service. The new house will have HD service if at all possible (up to DirecTV and waivers). Do you have an opinion whether I should specify a 3-LNB or 5-LNB dish?

- As I mentioned, the terminations for the RG6 cables are located in the attic. The house is located in the hill country of south Texas where the summers are very hot and the attic temperatures would become very high. Are there any maximum temperature guidelines for the SWM8 and STS-2/4/8 equipment?

- There will be a mix of HD receivers, both DVR and standard. I understand that the SWM8 provides eight tuners, two of which are required for each DVR. Assuming I install an STS-4, does each receiver, whether a DVR or standard receiver use a port on the STS-4? I’m trying to confirm that even though a cable from the STS-4 provides 2 “tuners”, a standard receiver still requires a connection to an STS-4 port.

- In the event that additional TVs are installed in the future, can a port off the STS-4 that is servicing a standard receiver be “split” to provide for an additional standard receiver? If so, what equipment would be required? If not, would I have to resort to the dual SWM8 configuration diagramed in “Wiring Diagram for Two SVMs (using four 1x2 splitters)”? What about replacing the STS-4 with an STS-8? What would that do to the DVRs?

- The initial configuration I envision is as follows:
    AU9 dish – 4 RG6 coax – SVM8 and power supply – STS-4 – RG6 – DVR – TV
    - RG6 – DVR – TV
    - RG6 – RCVR – TV
    - RG6 – RCVR – TV
    Would this work? Do you have suggestions or modifications?

- What are the RG6 cable length limits between the various components?
    AU9 to SVM8? SVM8 to STS-4? STS-4 to DVR/Receiver?

I will appreciate your response and suggestions.

Do you have an opinion whether I should specify a 3-LNB or 5-LNB dish?
    You only need a 5LNB if there are stations broadcast in your area on the 110 and 119 satellites.

Are there any maximum temperature guidelines for the SWM8 and STS-2/4/8 equipment?
    The SWM is -34C to 52C, I believe the splitters are roughly the same.

Assuming I install an STS-4, does each receiver, whether a DVR or standard receiver use a port on the STS-4? I’m trying to confirm that even though a cable from the STS-4 provides 2 “tuners”, a standard receiver still requires a connection to an STS-4 port.
    So long as the receiver is SWM compatible, you can connect 4 DVRs to a 1x4 splitter...only 1 line to any SWM-compatible DVR.

- In the event that additional TVs are installed in the future, can a port off the STS-4 that is servicing a standard receiver be “split” to provide for an additional standard receiver? If so, what equipment would be required? If not, would I have to resort to the dual SWM8 configuration diagramed in “Wiring Diagram for Two SVMs (using four 1x2 splitters)”? What about replacing the STS-4 with an STS-8? What would that do to the DVRs?
    Yes, you can split and then split again--just like cable signals. You use a SWM 1x2 after the 1x4. Or you can replace the 1x4 with a 1x8. Does not impact the DVRs.

- The initial configuration I envision is as follows:
    AU9 dish – 4 RG6 coax – SVM8 and power supply – STS-4 – RG6 – DVR – TV
    - RG6 – DVR – TV
    - RG6 – RCVR – TV
    - RG6 – RCVR – TV
    Would this work? Do you have suggestions or modifications?
    This is fine. Or you can get two 1x2 splitters and use the SWM1 and SWM2 port. That would be preferred if your runs are 250' or longer.

- What are the RG6 cable length limits between the various components? AU9 to SVM8? SVM8 to STS-4? STS-4 to DVR/Receiver?
    There is no fixed rules, because if your lines are long (>75' bet dish and SWM), then you can use other equipment to improve reliability. If your runs from SWM to receiver(s) are >250' to 300', then you may need amplification.

Comment

Thanks very much. As to the future expansion question - If I install two STS-4 or one STS-8, I assume the limit is the 8 "tuners" in the SWM8. Therefore of the 8 available ports in either of the two "expansion scenarios" you just have to stay within the total of 8 "tuners". Then a DVR or RCVR still gets one cable from an STS port as long as the 8 "tuner" limit isn't exceeded? So there may then be some unused ports on the splitters? Thanks again!

Comment

Right. However many splitters you connect, the SWM8 can only carry 8 tuners.

Comment

Working...
        X