problem with mfsadd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with mfsadd

My series 2 TIVO HDD finally died after 5 yrs. I restored my TIVO system to a new HDD using:
    mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
    I installed this replacement HDD into my machine and the system successfully starts up, but of course with only 70 hrs of recording capability. I then removed the HDD and hooked it up to my PC, then issued the expand command:
    mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdc
    Linux responds back that I have successfully added something like 147 hrs of capacity. But when I reinstall the newly expanded HDD into the TIVO machine, the machine gets stuck on the "Welcome, powering up" message and never starts. Any ideas what the problem might be?

I also tried restoring and expanding in one step, also unsuccessfully:
    mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

I'd suggest you try the original command--which showed 70 hours--again to confirm that your backup and drive are still good, because the commands look right to me.

Comment

follow-up (Problem solved)

Thanks for the input. Turns out that after MFSadding, my bootpage somehow got corrupted, so I thought the problem was with MFSadd. I downloaded WINMFS and used the bootpage repair utility. That fixed the problem and my TIVO system has been restored and expanded. Thanks for your help.

Comment

OK - sounds right. The whole bootpage issue with Windows PCs is definitely a problem in the way Windows PCs work.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Further follow up. I think my orig. problem may have been due to a failing hard drive. Several weeks later, the HDD died. I used Seagate's SEAtools for Win and did a long DST--> fail. SEAtools for DOS was unable to complete diagnosis. I contacted Seagate & they are repairing the drive.

One followup question, if you have the time to answer. I have several old HDDs and I did multiple restores of my TIVO system using MFStools onto EIDE drives. None of them ever booted. I used the appropriate diagnostic HDD tools (SEAtools for my Seagate drives) to verify that the EIDE drives are in good working order.

I then used WINMFS to copy the TIVO system off of an EIDE drive that did NOT boot onto a SATA drive, and the SATA system works fine (using a SATA to EIDE converter, of course). I also directly restored my TIVO system (using MFStools) onto the same SATA drive, and the system boots too. I cannot understand why my EIDE drives don't seem to work, while the exact same system on my SATA drives do (working through a SATA/EIDE adapter). I have rechecked that I have the single EIDE drive jumpered to Master, and fully pushed in the jumper pin.

Comment

Working...
          X