Problems after replacing bad hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems after replacing bad hard drive

This week, our Philips DSR704 DirecTivo unit started stuttering during LiveTV and playback of recorded shows. The unit did not display any other symptoms. So, I decided to replace the original Maxtor 40GB hard drive with a new 160GB drive using the WeaKnees Interactive Upgrade instructions and the latest download of the MFStools 2.0 CD (iso image) with WeaKnees Large Kernel Support. I used the following command to copy the old drive's contents to the new drive:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

The command appeared to work very well and quickly copied the contents to the new drive. However, the fun began after I tried to restart my TiVo with the new drive installed.

First, the system remained on the grey "Powering Up..." screen for a long time. Then, it displayed the Green Screen of Death. After leaving the unit turned on overnight, we found the unit basically working but with a few issues.

Pressing the Info, Guide or Record buttons or swithing channels produces one of two possible screens that basically say the same thing, the "DSV Service is Unavailable." When I view the System Information screen, everything looks ok except the DSV Service is listed as "Inactive." In addition, trying to access any settings-related screens causes the unit to reboot.

I called DirecTV and they said the system was reporting the unit as a regular DirecTV receiver, not a DVR. When they tried to send a signal to the unit to re-activate the DVR service, the unit either ignores the request or reboots.

I remembered that the mfsbackup command did produce some read errors on the original drive. Is it possible that the copy was not 100% complete due to these "read" errors? Does anyone know of any options available to recover from this? We would like continue to keep our recordings, if possible.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by MitchStr; 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM.

Frankly, it sounds like you copied corruption from the old drive to the new one. At this point, we'd recommend either sending us the drive for formatting here, or getting a new drive "replace" kit from us here:

http://www.weaknees.com/d704.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X