series 2 upgrade add 2nd drive kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• series 2 upgrade add 2nd drive kit

Hi, I bought a upgrade kit for my series 2 and I followed the instructions after getting it in the mail today, and I installed the new drive right out of the box. I got the drive seperate from a store today.

The instructions made no mention as to jumpers for the new 2nd drive so I left it at default (cable select)

Should I have set it to slave?

Tivo does not recognize the drive from what i'm reading in the system info.

I did look for info but don't see any about what to set 2nd drive to if you didn't buy it from the kit maker. I guess thats what I get for not ordering a drive with the kit idk.. NO info on wether or not i have to format the drive too.. so i just put it in like the info sheet told me.. if i need to format it other than what hte factory set it at please let me know.

You need to prepare the second drive - a blank drive won't work.

We can do it here:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php

or you can do it here:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

ok and when i get it prepped the drive needs to be in slave correct or just left as cable select?
      Last edited by grimlock16; 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I'm running the disc and my 2nd drive in my pc to "prep" it and its sitting at a screen stating attemping to mount cdrom attempt 1...5 no cdrom found..

what should i do? my sata dvd drive is plugged in and it did load off it so not sure why its complaining... any help?

Comment

Slave is the safest.

As far as the CDROM booting, it may be incompatible with your motherboard, but you should check in your BIOS to be sure you're asking it to boot from the CD. Also, be sure you burned the CD properly as an ISO, as opposed to just putting the file on the CD.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

no i did everythign right.. the disc booted and i hit enter when it asked and it checked the hard drive and ran some checks and just started sitting at a screen after checking the hard drive i put in and said mounting cdrom ..attempt 1...5 and then no drive detected

Comment

ok let me ask it another way... since i don't seem to know linux and i'm stuck at some cdrom screen..

I have a tivo series 2 that came with 1 hard drive.

I wanted to just add a second drive for extra storage.. (plan A)

since that doesn't seem to be working

How can I just copy my 40gig drive to my new larger drive

i'm at boot: from the disc currently

Master ide is the original drive A and slave is the new drive B

Can anyone explain how to do either? I tried the link and followed the directions but appear stuck at a no cdrom screen or it says I need to have my original os on the ide to copy back and forth this boot copy or something and my real drives for my pc are sata and not on ide channel.. so how can i do either.. i'm lost

Comment

There are complete instructions for this scenario here:

www.upgrade-instructions.com

Comment

I tried... they aren't english enough for me.. it keeps wanting to copy stuff to my pc's hard drive and it can't cause its not on an ide connection.. i don't get it for my 540040..

like after verifying

mount /dev/hdZ1 /mnt

No such image.. tab shows a list

I hit tab and it just says linux..

Comment

after i hit enter and wait for the screen to stop loading at the no cdrom found
                    i hit enter and type in mount /dev/hdB1 /mnt and get

/dev/hdb1: invalid argument
                    mount: mount point /mnt does not exist..

I've also tried the same command at the boot: and that gives less to nothing better..

i'm seriously trying here..

Comment

ok so if opt to use your misc page where it says for 55 bucks you'll prep the 2nd drive for me..

since my pc doesn't want to do it, i guess as a last resort i'll send my new drive to you to prep..

if i opt for that, will your company send a static bag for the drive? I already opened it and it doesn't reseal.

after that , i just have to plug in the 2nd drive to the extra drive slot in my already purchased kit correct?

sorry for the hassle, i honestly tried but the directions didn't flow for me

Comment

If you have the antistatic bag, that should be fine if it completely covers the drive.

Comment

Working...
                        X