Replacement drive hums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement drive hums

I just installed a replacement drive (160 GB seagate DB35 from you guys) in my Sony series 1. The new drive gives off a constant hum. It's not severe, but it is definitely noticeably louder than the drive it is replacing (quantum fireball). Is this normal? Have I under or overtightened the screws mounting the HDD to its bracket?

I would check the screws, yes. Both on the drive and the bracket.

Also, you should confirm that the noise is not coming from the fan.

Comment

Should the drive screws be as tight as possible? I didn't want to overtighten them and completely crush the shock absorption seatings.

Comment

No, do not overtighten...but they should be tightened evenly.

Comment

It turns out that it's not a hum, it's vibration. And the vibration was causing the shelf on which I have the TiVo to make a hum noise.

I checked a couple different screw torques (just by hand) to see if I could reduce the vibration, but I couldn't. Maybe once the vibration dampeners have been tightened once they lose some vibration absorption ability. It's not a big deal, I don't think it's going to hurt anything. I moved it to a sturdier shelf and the hum is much less.

I'm satisfied with the way it is. Just thought I'd post the update in case you were curious, after helping me.

Comment

Thanks for the update. You might try putting something under the four corners of the TiVo to lift it a bit. That might help.

Comment

Working...
            X