Not sure what I'm doing wrong,new install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure what I'm doing wrong,new install

I have a series 1 Tivo that had a 40 gig drive that I upgraded a few yrs. ago. I saved the factory image to a cd and used that image to upgrade the new drive,so I know the image is good.
    Now,the problem I have a series 2 that the drive went bad in. So I tried to install the S1 image to a new drive and expands and says what the hours are,etc. When i put it in the S2 I get the welcome Powering... screen,than a grey screen . I also have a S2 image that I've had for awhile and it does the same thing. I type

mkdir /mnt/dos
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
    mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
    Then it will uncompress,do the clean up,tell me the new hours,etc. I also tried -xzbpi since I cant recall which MFS tools I used ...last one I did was 2004 and not sure if I'm missing something. Thank you for any help

You can't put an S1 image and then install the drive in an S2. It's also possible that you have a bad drive, a bad image, etc. The commands look right.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.I was told that I cant and also that I could. I have two S2 images ,but was not sure where I got them from...been a few yrs. I knew the S1 image was good. I'll try both S2 files

Both of the S2 files are .mfs and also I have the .img . Thanks again for the help.

Comment

The suffix of the file shouldn't really matter - that's just what the person who made the file typed in. The tools will attempt to read any file specified, no matter the suffix.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I tried the S2 backups,and now it does the Welcome! Powering up ... for about 20 sec.s and will re-boot,over and over. I moved the jumper from slave to master and replaced the IDE cable I tried with 3 different drives also. As I said,I'm not sure where I got these S2 images ,but the date when I made the cd was 11/04. Not sure when the S2 came out??? Also in the instructions it says "Note: Series 2 units restoring a backup image created using old Mfs Tools 1.X should also include the -b option in either command line used below (-xzbpi instead of -xzpi). " I'm not sure which MFS was used to create these images.

Comment

Further, not all Series2 images work on all Series2 TiVo models. An image that is five years old should work on the right model, and you'd likely know if the file has been corrupted since. If mfstools didn't report a problem in the restore, then that part is likely OK, leaving you with either a bad drive, or the wrong OS for the model.

Comment

or the wrong OS for the model <<<< This one gets my vote . I just tried with the "b" option and same thing,reboots. I thought as long as it was a S2 "tivo" image it would work in any of them. The model is TCD649080. Guess I need to get a image for this model. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well, if it's from 11/04, you've got no chance. The TCD649080 is the dual tuner TiVo, and that didn't come out until years later, and it needs its own TiVo OS.

Comment

Working...
                X