First Fix (New HD) Failed - Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fix (New HD) Failed - Now What?

History: TiVo Series 2 (TDC240080) was stuck at "Welcome. Powering up..." Ordered replacement HDD kit (500Gb vs. original 80Gb). Installed it tonight. Powered up to a black screen on the TV and no lights on the front of the unit although I could feel air from the fan in the back. Powered down and re-opened cover to check connections. All appeared OK. Powered up again with cover off. Fan runs. Green light on HDD next to ribbon connector. Still no lights on front. Left it alone and came back ten minutes later to find undulating bright white segmented lines floating back and forth across the screen of the TV. Powered down again. This time got the standard green power light on the front and the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen. However, the TiVo hasn't progressed beyond it in 20 minutes.

Next steps?

Thanks,

Tom

No lights on the front can indicate a bad power supply. What happens when you install the old drive?

Comment

Swapped the drives out. Got the front lights and "Welcome. Powering up..." screen but then realized the drive wasn't making any noise and I'd forgotten to connect the drive power connector. Powered down and restarted with the drive power connected, got disk noises but only the black TV screen with no lights on the TiVo. Powered down again, disconnected the drive power, powered up and got the welcome screen again. Powered down, connected the drive power connection one more time, powered up, and got the drive spinning but no lights and no welcome screen on the tube.

What's the doctor's diagnosis now?

Comment

Hard to say. It could be a power supply (not enough power to power the drive and the motherboard) or a short on the motherboard. We've seen both.

Comment

OK. So I'm invested in making this thing work now. I'm happy to keep the drive with the extra capacity assuming it's a power supply @ $49. If it's not the PS, what kind of cost am I looking at for a board repair if that's even an option?

Comment

Well, you'd need our flat-fee repair, which, for your model, is $179. That's here:

TiVo Flat Fee Repair

But you'd be able to return the power supply at that point (less the restocking fee). Hard to say what makes the most sense, but if time isn't a big issue, the power supply route and some luck is a lot less expensive.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Also realized the green light on the wired USB adapter isn't lit, either. Just ordered the PS. If that doesn't fix it then I'll figure out next steps then. Thanks for the help.

Comment

OK - that all does sound a lot like a bad power supply.

Comment

The new PS fixed it. Working like a champ with the old HD. However, now thinking I should keep the new HD as well and hope the motherboard can hang in there for another six years now that everything else is new. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Excellent! Glad to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                    X