Is HD to HD backup possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is HD to HD backup possible?

I have a Tivo Series 2 240-80Hour unit. The hard drive is on its last leg causing the picture to freeze and tile sporadically. I have two cases that can turn the IDE drives into external drives. My theory is to connect the old and new drive to my laptop and perform a direct transfer from the old HD to the New one with out using the MFS software. Is this possible?

Sure - just do a one drive upgrade, and choose the option to save your settings:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The instuctions tells you to down load software and replace the hard drive of the computer with the Tivo hard drive.

What I am proposing would be more like copy g:\ to h:\.

Is that doable?

I want to know before I start pulling out HDs.

Comment

Do:

-replace with one drive

-no backup

-save recordings

You'll get copy instructions that you're looking for.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What is 'One Drive'?

I'm new to this forum and have the same question. I, too, have two gizmos
          that would allow me to connect the original TiVo drive (Series II)thru one USB
          port and the new HDD (500 GB) to a second USB port.
          I also have Powerquest Drive Image 2002.
          You refer to "one drive". Is that a software product? Do I need it?
          Can't I just boot from Drive Image's floppy drive software and do a disk-to-disk
          copy from old to new?
          That might not increase the sizes of the partitions created on the new drive
          proportionately... or would it? If not, could I use Powerquest Partition Magic,
          also booted from floppy to avoid writing any extraneous WinXP stuff to either
          drive, and increase the partition sizes that way?

This is a lot to ask, but I haven't found any other source that addresses the
          ability to copy directly from one drive to another.

OH... and this too: when accessing the 2 drives thru USB, should they both
          be set as "masters" ... or does it not matter in this configuration??
          Thanks!

Comment

Drive copying software generally doesn't work with TiVos. We'd recommend that you use the instructions and tools that are provided here:

TiVo Upgrade Instructions

Comment

Working...
            X