Enabling eSATA port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling eSATA port

If this question is illegal in any way, or inappropriate for the forum, please delete it. Comcast cable uses the same Scientific American HD DVRs as most cable companies nationwide do. However, according to their website, they have disabled ALL external ports except those that go directly to the TV, citing copywrited content, etc concerns. This, even though most other cable operators, Direct TV, and Tivo have enabled the eSATA ports so that an external expander HD can be used.

The sticky part of this post: Is there any way to open the box and enable the eSATA yourself? Barring that, is there any way to open the box and install a piggy-back internal drive?

We don't know of any way to change it, but if you post your geographical location, and the OS that your box is using, we can tell you if we have other customers using our externals in a similar situation.

Often, even though cable companies claim expansion is disabled, it'll still work.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Location is Warrenton, VA, 50 miles West of DC. I don't know the OS offhand. The unit is my daughter's, and I wanted to get the expansion for her as a Christmas gift. My son seems to be pretty sure that it's a Scientific American 8200 or 8300. If the OS version is needed I can probably get it, but it would blow the surprise for Christmas.

Comment

OK - we really can't make a guess about whether it would work without knowing the OS of the unit. Can you ask?

Comment

I'll do that. In the meantime, does anyone know of a way to tell if the eSATA port is active without hooking up an external HD to it?

Comment

Well, not beyond having us check our database for others in the same situation.

Comment

I went over there today, and good ol' Comcast has show their normal anal ways. The only thing I could learn is that it is a Scientific American HD8300. There is no on-screen menu that tells what OS or software version is on the thing. It may be on the set-up menu, but that is locked out also. I guess my only resort is to start looking for a different Christmas present.
              Thanks for the help with the replies.

Comment

Working...
              X