Missing at least 2 channels after SWM8 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing at least 2 channels after SWM8 install

I'm an amateur - I determined that I needed the swm-8 in order to combine my DTV signals with my Comcast internet signals, as well as to have 2-line DVRs in rooms with only one coax line.

I've installed the SWM-8, and was happy to see that i do have DTV signal and Comcast Cable internet signal on my lines, everything seems to be fine...except, I'm missing at least 2 channels...

I'm sure there's something in common with these channels, but I don't know what it is (same sattelite, etc.). I'm missing CNN (202) and Food Channel (231) that I know of, i'll add more if I notice them.

Any ideas? I'll be this is a pretty simple fix.

EDIT

Channels missing:

202 (CNN-HD)
    231 (FOOD-HD)
    247 (TBS-HD)
    248 (FX-HD)
    Last edited by murray8144; 12-14-2009, 03:14 PM. Reason: added info

Sounds like an installation issue; you might want to check the test channels (in the 480s and 490s). See:

Test Channels

Channels 480–494: Test Channels

Used to test signals from different satellites and broadcast bands, to make sure that the satellite dish is working properly.
    Code:
    480 				Test channel for 103°W, B-Band odd transponders, 13V to LNBF
    481 				Test channel for 103°W, B-Band even transponders, 18V to LNBF
    482 				SAT A Test Channel for 99 (odd)
    483 				SAT B Test Channel for 99 (even)
    488 				Test Channel 488 for Macrovision
    490 				Test channel for 101°W, odd transponders, 13V to LNBF
    491 				Test channel for 101°W, even transponders, 18V to LNBF
    492 				Test channel for 119°W, odd transponders, 13V to LNBF
    493 				Test channel for 119°W, even transponders, 18V to LNBF
    494 				Test channel for 110°W

Comment

Similar Problem

I have DTV with three regular boxes and one HD DVR, HR22. The three reg. boxes work fine. My HR22 is missing 209 and 311. Can't find signal in 1 (771).

My signal comes into a splitter and then out to the boxes and a swm. If I disconnect the swm from the splitter all my tv's go out. Is that right?

I went to the test channels and 482 can't find signal in 1 (771). All the other channels test out fine. Although I don't have channels 491-494. Any ideas?

Comment

I don't really get it. The signal goes to a splitter from the dish? What kind of splitter?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

480 - searching for signal
          481 - searching for signal
          482 - "Correct HD Dish setup. 99 b-band odd (13v)
          483 - "Correct HD Dish setup. 99 b-band even (18v)
          490 - "Test 1 SAT A (101) Odd Txp 13v
          491 - "Test 2 SAT A (101) Even Txp 18v
          492 - Searching for signal
          492 - searching for signal
          Last edited by murray8144; 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by murray8144 View Post
            480 - searching for signal
            481 - searching for signal
            482 - "Correct HD Dish setup. 99 b-band odd (13v)
            483 - "Correct HD Dish setup. 99 b-band even (18v)
            490 - "Test 1 SAT A (101) Odd Txp 13v
            491 - "Test 2 SAT A (101) Even Txp 18v
            492 - Searching for signal
            492 - searching for signal
            Looks like you're not getting the 103 and 119...you didn't give 494, but you might also be missing the 110? You'll notice on the SWM that all 3 of those sats are the same two inputs. Sounds like a wiring/cabling issue.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
              I don't really get it. The signal goes to a splitter from the dish? What kind of splitter?
              Yes, single cable comes off dish and goes through external wall of house. Goes into DTV supplied 4 way splitter inside. Looks lke a common splitter. THERE MAY BE ANOTHER SWITCH OR BOX @ DISH. But from what I can see it goes from that splitter to the regular boxes and one goes through a swm to a HR22. I just noticed the missing channels and have been troubleshooting it myself. I have a technical background, but no firm knowledge of DTV wiring requirements. I realize I may need to examine the dish, but I was trying to exhaust all possibilities on the ground. The dish is high up.

Comment

Originally posted by jojofuller View Post
                Yes, single cable comes off dish and goes through external wall of house. Goes into DTV supplied 4 way splitter inside. Looks lke a common splitter. THERE MAY BE ANOTHER SWITCH OR BOX @ DISH. But from what I can see it goes from that splitter to the regular boxes and one goes through a swm to a HR22. I just noticed the missing channels and have been troubleshooting it myself. I have a technical background, but no firm knowledge of DTV wiring requirements. I realize I may need to examine the dish, but I was trying to exhaust all possibilities on the ground. The dish is high up.
                You have a SWM DISH, and what you are calling the "SWM" is actually the power supply for the dish. You can't disconnect that.

Did DIRECTV do this installation?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                  You have a SWM DISH, and what you are calling the "SWM" is actually the power supply for the dish. You can't disconnect that.

Did DIRECTV do this installation?
                  Yes they did. They want to charge me to fix their install. So I was trying to do it myself.

OK, so the small box that has one single coax cable going into and out of it is a power supply (plus the power cord)? And I guess the actual "switch" is at the dish since there is one cable coming down from the dish?

Did you see where I went through the test channels and they all test out OK except 482 (searching for signal in 1....771)? Didn't know if you could determine anything off of that info.

Comment

Right about the power supply (or "power inserter").

This sounds like a mis-aligned dish, or a bad LNB on the dish.

Comment

Right about the power supply (or "power inserter").

This sounds like a mis-aligned dish, or a bad LNB on the dish.
                      I get a signal strength in the 90's. So does that negate the misalignment theory?

LNB, that is the node that points back at the dish?

Comment

Hard to say. It could also be a bad internal tuner, I suppose. You're not using B-Band converters, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                          Hard to say. It could also be a bad internal tuner, I suppose. You're not using B-Band converters, are you?
                          I don't believe so. There are warnings that pop up when I go through the satellite set up stating not to install them. I don't really know what they look like to confirm that they aren't there though.

Comment

They're hanging of the back of your DVR if you have them. If you connected the SWM cable right to the SAT 1 port and not to any extender, you're OK.

Comment

They're hanging of the back of your DVR if you have them. If you connected the SWM cable right to the SAT 1 port and not to any extender, you're OK.
                              OK, you are correct. The cable goes straight from the power supply to the receiver. No extenders.

Does that signal cable at the dish connect to another box (swm) or does it go directly to the "node"? The piece that points back at the dish. I don't know if that is what the term for that is, but that is how we have always referred to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X