Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

put bigger disk, plays but only has 40 hours still?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put bigger disk, plays but only has 40 hours still?

have a tivo series 2 dual tuner 40 hours. ive used a direct tv dvr for a while that has 80? hours and 40 is just not enough.

so, reading the hinsdale upgrade website over and over, tried to follow exactly what was described, it didnt run the linux app on one pc because its too new? so using an older pentium3 machine, it took off and ran fast as expected. copied the original to the new disk.

installed it in the tivo and started it, it was super slow, 20 sec for each menu movement, but if you finally got to a recorded show, they played fine (new disk copied across)

so i went into the setup menu in the tivo and reset everything. this took a LONG time, like 12 hours. it seemed as if the tivo could recognize there was more disk space and was formatting? just a guess.

but in the menu setup it shows the capacity as 40 hours, menus where it shows the satellite id, the card id and all that data. so is that just what it says but really with the big disk its 400 hours and it wont fill up?

well its still what appears to be 40 hours like before, should have 380-400 hour capacity based on calculation from the large disk. but no. there was the 3 stooges marathon and twilight zone marathon, plus tried recording lots of other shows and most of that is gone, only what would fit a 40 hour system...

what did i do wrong? or how to do the instructions again and get it right?

its a single disk system. what tells it where to find the capacity? how does it know its a 40g or 420g disk area?

i just ran the copy utility as described, file in is disk1 file out is disk2, writing this out i hope its something obvious

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I think you might not have followed the instructions completely, because after you copy, you have to tell the new drive to use the additional space. Right now, all you have is a 40gb image sitting on a larger drive, but you now have to expand the partitions to see the rest of the space. The Hinsdale site or upgrade-instructions.com will give you the exact command you need in your situation.

Comment

the interactive instructions look hopeful

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
      I think you might not have followed the instructions completely, because after you copy, you have to tell the new drive to use the additional space. Right now, all you have is a 40gb image sitting on a larger drive, but you now have to expand the partitions to see the rest of the space. The Hinsdale site or upgrade-instructions.com will give you the exact command you need in your situation.
      thanks Jeff, i had not seen this website till now, http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/step4.php

and will give that a try. it must be the partition size then bc i didnt give any command to change it, didnt know if that was done by the tivo when it did a full erase/restore.

technical instruction writing is an art form and 'changing the partition' didnt stand out in the Hinsdale? website. had to read it over and over; ok will try this out and report back at 1530 hours. or when ever

Comment

got the cake bake program and its done

so it costs money, but in 2 minutes its all ready and has the size at the new capacity.

will try this with another disk using mfsbackup and the instructions

Comment

We can format blank drives here:

http://www.weaknees.com/misc.php
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks, thats good to know. doing the low level stuff (changing a partition, etc) has to be done carefully. sometimes its all about having it ready NOW as opposed to diving in to try the utilities.

ive re looked at the instructions and just noted that it says connect the cd to primary slave, new disk A to the secondary master, other to sec slave (or whatever) and run the disk copy; then put it back in the unit. thats for if its going from single disk to single larger disk. 10(x) and step 11 is put it back in the unit and power on? but if that didnt work, to then run an mfsbackup with several options then mfsrestore with options; something in there could be to size the partition up, but strictly looking at the steps there only seems to be disk copy in/out then put it back.

i recall from the old IDE disk days that if there is only one drive on an ide channel it cannot be master nor slave becuase of how the select circuitry works; dont know if thats changed in newer times, instructions ive read say put the cd alone as master?

ok time to start trying this .....

Comment

I've never seen an inability to set a drive as master or slave. You can have only one device on an IDE channel and have it work as either master or slave, to my knowledge.

Comment

what i recall from the IDE design spec is that it shouldnt work with a single device set to master or slave, if it does its not guaranteed. single devices should be CS. but its been a while.

i seem to also recall a single device set to CS becomes master, perhaps a single dev set to slave is a slave; but it was something that had to be noted, make sure to never put a single device as just master or just slave. so when i saw the notes saying single device jumpered that way? red flag.

Im now using the weaknees disk/image to try this again, noted that the instructions expect 3 disks, the tivo/old a tivo/new and a PC disk. it mounts the PC disk and makes a file on it called backup.bak (bc in linux it manually puts the disk online or offline) then it makes the new tivo disk.

Ive already got new shows on the large disk but its set as 40G like the old tivo. so Im zapping the original tivo old disk with all these new shows, then will set the new large disk with the:

Command to copy/expand from single drive to new single larger A drive:

(Assumes existing TiVo A drive as Secondary Master and new larger upgrade A drive as Primary Master)

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

except the way its set now in the pc its hdc and hdd. THIS SHOULD solve the problem i first came here with

also noticed the instructions said:
                Issue backup and restore commands

At the prompt, issue the following command:

mount /dev/hdW1 /mnt

but this failed, saying special device is not available?

am skipping it because it doesnt seem to do anything and it doesnt give a reason for doing it?

Comment

Did you change the:

hdW1

to specify your drive?

Comment

made it work

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                    Did you change the:

hdW1

to specify your drive?
                    yes but it didnt work. tried but it said invalid FAT table (or something like that) so i never did any mounting. I was not using the dos C drive

some GOOD news, i took the original maxtor drive that was in there originally with 40G and then copied across the 40G partition from the 260G drive using the dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/hdc, then did the mfsbackup -Tao ...etc sending it to the 260G drive and expanding it out, saving all the shows and settings. it finished with no errors, put that into the tivo and it works, and all the shows are there!

one problem was the FONT used should be TYPEWRITER style where it doesnt do proportional spacing, because it was really hard to tell where the dash- was, the mfsbackup uses whitespace, it took almost 10 tries of sending it the same command before the pc finally gave in and did the command. could be how the spaces were, very annoying. I dont mind doing it verbatim, but it was not easy to tell where the space was or wasnt

Comment

OK - glad it works.

I thought we used Courier for most of the code in the instructions, but I'll double check.

Comment

now have problems with tivo doing record

Now noticed something its never done, i programmed it to record several shows with the season pass manager. it would not record the pink panther. checked and even deleted the season pass then added it again. didnt work. went into the schedule and clicked select to record it, it asked to record this or get a season pass. i chose record it, but it didnt. on other programs when I tried this it says "record as planned?" but on this one it didnt. I went into the schedule and clicked record manually on 3 of them, noticed today it recorded 1 of them. no conflicts as it comes on at 4am? and it would have said if there was a conflict.

also doing a fast forward, with single click FF it doesnt show the status/position, it just goes fast. with the 2nd level FF it does show the status bar and minutes position.

could this be related to the changes? are there known problems like this?

Comment

Have you looked in the top of your To Do list to see your recording history? This should tell you why the shows weren't recorded.

Comment

got a big problem with it

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                            Have you looked in the top of your To Do list to see your recording history? This should tell you why the shows weren't recorded.
                            ok hadnt seen that before, but now its got a big problem, it didnt record A BUNCH of shows saying, and I quote, "did not record because there is not enough disk space"

in the settings its showing 266 hours; right now there is not very much in there, probably about as much or less even than with 40 hours, and back on tuesday when it did this there were alot fewer things recorded
                            Last edited by Bradley1111; 01-08-2010, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Hours in the system info screen are at basic quality...if you are recording everything at best quality, that could explain your limitations.

Comment

Working...
                              X