hiding behind, not standing behind warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiding behind, not standing behind warranty

I purchased an HD upgrade for a DIY Philips HDR312 in April. The HD arrived DOA. I returned it for a replacement and received a new one in June. It allowed TiVo to start up OK. I then ignored it for a few months since it was on a seldom-used TV. I finally decided to see if it would record so I picked a show. When I tried to play it back, it froze and all efforts to revive it failed. I removed it and attached it to my PC and ran the Seagate diagnostics. It failed both the short and long generic tests. Since WK claimed to honor mfgr's warranties on newly-installed drives, I notified them last month. I received a reply stating that the drive was out of warranty and they would be glad to swap it for $79.

I replied to WK expressing my disappointment about their response and received no reply. This is just a warning to customers and potential customers that WK's claim of putting customer service first is subject to very liberal interpretation.

Where do we claim to honor manufacturer's warranties? Some of those go for five years - we cannot possibly do that. Even they don't, really. The pro-rate.

We have a very explicit warranty policy, and we don't claim "to honor mfgr's warranties" anywhere, on our site or on the phone.

And we are offering you an option . . .
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The following is taken from here, under the question of warranty:

http://www.weaknees.com/dtv_faq_detail.php?categoryID=1

All of our newly-installed TiVo hard drives come with a full manufacturer's warranty.
      Our philosophy regarding warranties generally: Being without a TiVo is a terrible thing. Therefore, we spend a great deal of time testing our hard drives and upgraded TiVo recorders before we sell them, so that our customers do not have problems down the road. When we encounter defective parts, we don't use them!

If I purchase a hard drive from Weaknees and install it, I consider that a newly-installed hard drive.

Comment

I think it's pretty clear that we're talking about drives installed here, not at your place, but in any event, does your drive not have a manufacturer's warranty? As far as we know, it does, and the manufacturer will honor it.

If that's not the case, please reply back. Otherwise, it sounds like you want to contact Seagate, the manufacturer.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X