Windows Partition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Partition

I do not have a computer with a 98 or ME installation on it (who does any more?). Can I just just a blank hard disk formatted to FAT32 as a backup drive? Or, does the FAT32 drive have to have an operational Windows operating system?

Thanks and Great Forums!

Wjones

It need not be windows...it can be dos, linux, etc. for example

Comment

Does it have to be an operating system of any kind, or just a blank drive formated FAT32?

Comment

Do I need some form of operating system or can all of the backups and hacks be done with just the CD for MSTools?

Comment

Blank, formatted FAT32 works fine. Other formats (like EXT2) can work, but it can be more complicated.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by wjones23 View Post
            Do I need some form of operating system or can all of the backups and hacks be done with just the CD for MSTools?
            The MFSTools CD is all you need - it has Linux on it.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I had bought an 80GB Quickview drive when I got my DirecTV Tivo a few years ago (from a friend). I was able to use th\e Hinsdale method to not only back up my original drive, but upgrade from a 40GB to an 80GB drive. Thanks again!

Now that I have a differnent drive other than my original, and a backup, I want to add the ability to download shows to my PC. Other than using the sleeper hack, can I do this?

Thanks
              WJones

Comment

Maybe someone here can help, but at WeaKnees, we really don't support those hacks.

I will say that I've never heard that any hacks do or don't work because you've got an expanded drive.

Comment

Working...
                X