Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 2 Single Hard Drive Failed

Hello,
    Bare with me as I'm new to this whole tivo upgrading thing, but basically what happened was that the hard drive in my TIVO series 2 failed very abruptly. We didn't really notice any of the warning signs previous to the failure, but one night the tivo rebooted on its own, and would not get past the powering up screen. The hard drive was also ticking and scraping like crazy. I read some forums and attempted to backup the drive but the damage was done, it was unreadable, and incredibly noisy.
    I found the Weaknees site, order a 320GB replacement hard drive and threw it in the TIVO tonight. I followed all of the instructions and powered the unit on. It got to the powering up screen, then the screen went grey, and stayed grey.
    I re-read the instructions and they informed me that the IDE cable that came with the TIVO should be replaced by the one provided by Weaknees, and so I did that, and now the TIVO does not even get to the power on screen, nothing but snow. I can hear the harddrive spin, and the fan is spinning, but no picture. I reset the SATA adapter, and no change, I went back to the original IDE cable and no change. To Say I'm mad is an understatement as this drive cost more then a replacement tivo unit. I threw the drive in another PC to see if it was damaged and my diagnostic tools told me it was empty with no partitions. Is this what I should expect or did Weaknees send me a blank hard drive?

I suspect that you knocked a cable loose when you went to install the IDE cable.

The first symptom--gray screen--is what you'd expect to see with a properly-loaded drive without swapping cables.

So you might go into the TiVo and check the cables--especially the one from the power supply to the motherboard.

UNFORTUNATELY, by installing your drive in a PC--if it was running Windows--you likely corrupted the software on the drive so that the drive now may not boot. A PC is not going to see the special TiVo partitions, which use a special file system.

Comment

Well I didn't boot from windows when I loaded the drive into the pc, I boot from a utilities disk,
      The gray screen is what is supposed to happen?
      Why doesn't it say that anywhere in the kit?
      how long is it supposed to be gray?
      What cable could I have loosened?

Comment

I am using your cable and double checked the power supply cable to the motherboard and still there is nothing but snow on the tv. The power light is on the front of the TIVO, the light on the sata adapter is on, the fan is spinning.
        Jeff

Comment

OK - I'm not clear.

What did you do with the drive in your PC?

Do you get the gray screen now, or nothing?

Does your original drive work at this point?
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Hey, Odoyle's girlfriend here.

He spent a while disconnecting and reconnecting everything and something worked because our TiVo is now up and running!!! Thanks WK guys for all your help and follow up

Comment

OK - taking it apart and putting it back together does do the trick some times. Great!
              Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
              X