To SWM or Not To SWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To SWM or Not To SWM

I have 5 DirecTiVos today in the house today. All have two wires going to them to support two tuners. I have a 3 LNB dish, and need to go to a 5 LNB dish to support the new HR23's I'm moving to (being forced to by DTV, but that's another thread) .

So... what do you recommend I do here? What do I need in the way of a multiswitch? I already have two wires everywhere I think I'll want... But maybe it'd be nice to free up the second cable (for use with Cable at some point?). However, if there's a multiswitch option that is a pretty clean swap, that'd be great.

Opinions? Options?

Thanks,
    Chris

What switch do you have now to power your 5 TiVos? Are you planning on getting HD equipment in addition to the TiVos? If so, how many HD DVRs/receivers will you have, and how many total receivers?

Comment

I currently have three HR10-250s, and two SD DirecTiVos. I will be moving to 4 HR23's and leave one existing SD DirecTiVo.

I knew you were going to ask me about the multiswitch... It's a pretty fancy one (Spaun?) but it's buried in my attic, and frankly, I'm only making one trip up there -- to replace it... It has just the connections for the 3LNB dish, it has OTA (which I'm currently using) and more than enough connections for the 10 cables I have today. It's probably three or four years old.

Thanks.

Comment

A SWM would make this pretty easy. Connect one 1x4 to the SWM, with one cable leading from it to each HR23. Then run two wires from the legacy ports to the SD DirecTiVo.

To do this, you'll definitely need the SWM8 and not the SWM LNB. I assume you'll also be upgrading the dish.

Our SWM components are here:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, I think I get it. The wiring diagram helps...

Thanks.

Comment

Another follow-up. During this transition time, when I have a mix, can I just plug an HR23 into the two lines I currently have off my 3LNB dish with the existing multiswitch? I assume I'll get some more HD, but I'll be missing HD locals? Or???

Comment

It depends on exactly what multiswitch you have. Likely, you'll get most non-HD channels only.

Comment

So I'm in an all or nothing situation? Gotta change it all before I get anything?

If I go with a new switch and a 5LNB dish, I'll lose access to two tuners on all my existing HR10-250's right (since there's only one line going to each)?

Gosh, could this get any more painful?

Comment

On HD, yes, all or nothing, most likely. There could be a few legacy channels.

The 5LNB dish with a 6x8 will fully support your HR10-250. It's just the SWM that won't support it.

Comment

I know you're getting tired of me, but WK is about to get an order for a whole boatload of HR23s, so...

Is this dish upgrade something I can/should do myself? I certainly can handle the SWM part, the part I'm concerned about is the dish pointing. We live way up north, and when I did my original install, the best I could get was mid-80s. Then I had a pro come in and put in the 3LNB dish and he was rocking low-mid-90s. We have great pictures. Unfortunately he's gone out of business.

So, should I try to replace the 3LNB with a 5LNB myself (and if so do I need a meter to do a good job) or should I call DirecTV (shudder) and risk getting some clown?

Comment

If you get the dish from us, we can point you to some good installation resources....but I will say that a 5LNB dish (or the newer-style 3LNB) are not "point and shoot" dishes like they used to. You'll want a signal meter to do it.

If you can use a 3LNB in your area, it is an easier dish to install.

Comment

I *have* a 3LNB dish already in place. I thought I *needed* a 5 to get my locals in HD, and all the other HD content. I'm in the Seattle area. Do I *not* need a new dish? Just a new multiswitch?? I'm soooo confused...

I'll happily buy all the equipment from you guys. I love you guys. All three HR10-250s came from you, and I've bought expansions for at least three other machines from you. You have thousands of my $$, and you're the only place I'd shop.

I'm not afraid to climb on my roof and replace my dish, I'm not afraid to spend the $$ I need to get a good meter to get it right. (However, I'll also pay a good guy to do it.) But I want to be happy when I'm done When I pointed my original dish, I had rain-fade issues (it's Seattle after all), but after the last guy did it (and got 90's) I've had maybe three rain-fade issues in three years.
                        Last edited by clwill; 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Two different 3LNB dishes.

The old one (the one you have) gets the 101, 110 and 119 satellite. The new 3LNB gets the 99, 101 and 103, which is what you need. The only question is whether, in your area, you also need the 110 and 119. In most markets, you don't.

Comment

OK, how do I find out? As I said, I'm in Seattle.

The DirecTV web site says you want/need the 5 to "get all the HD programming"? And as long as I'm at it (replacing the dish), shouldn't I just do a 5?

OK, so... I want to hang a 5 where my 3 is today. I need a 5, an SWM, and a good meter. Right?

You guys are amazingly patient with me

Comment

Yup - you should get a 5 LNB then, and yes, you need a good meter to aim one of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X