SWM & directv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM & directv

Hi everyone I am a student and am currently living with my grandparents.. They just got directv and I was hoping to use my series 2 tivo on their account. but the tech that came out installed an all swm system with the new swm dish. since my room was all the way at the end of the house i was thinking of installing an old dish that i have extra on the roof. (one of the old round ones). Which i know will work just fine.
    The only question i have for you guys is has anyone else been in this situation before? because i called directv the other day to see if there was anything they could do for me and they said that even if i install another dish they would not let me add the tivo to their account because she said the computer would not let her.(because we only have the new system). She didnt seem like she knew anything and she didnt try because i havent done this yet, but im just wondering if anyone has an old receiver on a "swm account". she made it seem like once an account is all swm you cannot go back.
    Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Originally posted by evolution2147 View Post
    Hi everyone I am a student and am currently living with my grandparents.. They just got directv and I was hoping to use my series 2 tivo on their account. but the tech that came out installed an all swm system with the new swm dish. since my room was all the way at the end of the house i was thinking of installing an old dish that i have extra on the roof. (one of the old round ones). Which i know will work just fine.
    The only question i have for you guys is has anyone else been in this situation before? because i called directv the other day to see if there was anything they could do for me and they said that even if i install another dish they would not let me add the tivo to their account because she said the computer would not let her.(because we only have the new system). She didnt seem like she knew anything and she didnt try because i havent done this yet, but im just wondering if anyone has an old receiver on a "swm account". she made it seem like once an account is all swm you cannot go back.
    Thanks and sorry for the long post!
    i'm not sure about the swm & your quote from her .... but i would think that a computer might reject a non compatible recvr.... but even if it would go thru ... if that recvr was on another account ...that might also be a reason it wont activate on another....so you might still have trouble on that ... if you could convince them that it will work on the account ... you might be able to get a new card for the recvr & get it activated.... you might have to talk to several people to do it ...dont take just one persons word on it ....you might try to talk to a higher level tech....

Comment

I've never heard of this before...not sure why a customer can't swap a SWM LNB for a standard LNB. Why not just call and get the unit activated before you have the dish up there. If they will do it, then put up the dish then call DIRECTV and ask them to re-hit the card on the legacy box.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
        I've never heard of this before...not sure why a customer can't swap a SWM LNB for a standard LNB. Why not just call and get the unit activated before you have the dish up there. If they will do it, then put up the dish then call DIRECTV and ask them to re-hit the card on the legacy box.
        what it looks like he was wanting to do was put up his old 18"
        single lnb dish to run his tivo from ... i'm not sure what the series 2 tivo is ... but it sounds like it is not swm compatible... you are right ... probably the reg hd dish should work with it but the other recvrs installed might require more line runs....he didnt explain the rest...

the issue seems that DTV knows that the swm is there & the tivo is not compatible

i agree ... if you do your homework ... you can get it to work

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
          this is what i originally suggested to the girl on the phone with directv. I asked if i could just swap LNBs myself. she said if i did this it would damage all of the equipment in my house and then i would have to pay for them to come out and fix it. which is the dumbest thing i have heard.
          My real parents have had directv for over 14 years and I remember them being completely understanding with everything. i haven't had to call them for about 3-4 years but they would always say if you need a new dish go you can go buy it from circuit city and put it on then just call us with the access card numbers and such. now she said all new customers have to get the free installation.

Originally posted by ebmsjml View Post
          what it looks like he was wanting to do was put up his old 18"
          single lnb dish to run his tivo from ... i'm not sure what the series 2 tivo is ... but it sounds like it is not swm compatible... you are right ... probably the reg hd dish should work with it but the other recvrs installed might require more line runs....he didnt explain the rest...

the issue seems that DTV knows that the swm is there & the tivo is not compatible

i agree ... if you do your homework ... you can get it to work
          The reason why i wanted to just run my old tivo is because i dont feel like paying $100 for a crappier dvr that i dont even get to own. As far as the other recivers go i was just going to leave the new dish alone and just set up the 18" dish with one or two lines going to my tivo.
          Last edited by evolution2147; 03-13-2010, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evolution2147 View Post
            this is what i originally suggested to the girl on the phone with directv. I asked if i could just swap LNBs myself. she said if i did this it would damage all of the equipment in my house and then i would have to pay for them to come out and fix it. which is the dumbest thing i have heard.
            My real parents have had directv for over 15 years and I remember them being completely understanding with everything. i haven't had to call them for about 3-4 years but they would always say if you need a new dish go you can go buy it from circuit city and put it on then just call us with the access card numbers and such. now she said all new customers have to get the free installation.

The reason why i wanted to just run my old tivo is because i dont feel like paying $100 for a crappier dvr that i dont even get to own. As far as the other recivers go i was just going to leave the new dish alone and just set up the 18" dish with one or two lines going to my tivo.
            yeah ... i know ... now you talk to someone that takes your request & put it in a computer & they tell you what the computer says... most of these people dont have a clue how any of this works ... the computer does all the work ...

anyway the reason they tell you about the damage thing is that now the dishes use power insterters & if it is hooked up wrong it will burn up the recvrs....

also they want you to have a separate account for your recvrs... more money for them ...

Comment

Originally posted by ebmsjml View Post
              yeah ... i know ... now you talk to someone that takes your request & put it in a computer & they tell you what the computer says... most of these people dont have a clue how any of this works ... the computer does all the work ...

anyway the reason they tell you about the damage thing is that now the dishes use power insterters & if it is hooked up wrong it will burn up the recvrs....

also they want you to have a separate account for your recvrs... more money for them ...
              also ... if that recvr was on the other account ... you can just reactivate on that account & put up the dish at your grandmas & it will work

Comment

I think its possible but on the same time it will be considered to be one of the illegal means.Hence its better no to go for it.

Comment

If your TIVO was on an account under your name and was active when you moved in with your grandparents, then you should be able to setup your dish and TIVO and it should work fine.

If the TIVO has been inactive for awhile, then you may have no choice but to do a self install of your dish and have DTV send you a rcvr.

I don't know why you think a DVR is crappy. I have three and they work great. But, then again, I have never had a TIVO rcvr...so I have no comparison experience.

Lastly, I wouldn't change your grandparent's new setup. Either add to it for yourself and pay a portion of the bill OR add a new account for yourself and have your own setup. Your dish and LNB may be out of date as well and a free installation (which DTV offers almost all the time) may be the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanati View Post
                    If your TIVO was on an account under your name and was active when you moved in with your grandparents, then you should be able to setup your dish and TIVO and it should work fine.

If the TIVO has been inactive for awhile, then you may have no choice but to do a self install of your dish and have DTV send you a rcvr.

I don't know why you think a DVR is crappy. I have three and they work great. But, then again, I have never had a TIVO rcvr...so I have no comparison experience.

Lastly, I wouldn't change your grandparent's new setup. Either add to it for yourself and pay a portion of the bill OR add a new account for yourself and have your own setup. Your dish and LNB may be out of date as well and a free installation (which DTV offers almost all the time) may be the best choice.
                    The main reason why i wanted to get my old one working is because directv wont lease me one for free they want $100. (plus if i ever move again, then i cant keep it). but anyways we have one hd-dvr that we have been "sharing" for recordings. and i must say the tivo is way nicer with the season pass feature. On the new receiver if i select record series it records all of them. even if i select only record first run it still records every single one. And its reeeeally slow
                    I know this may seem dumb to you guys. but once the new tivo comes out (whenever it does) you'll definitely see the difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X