Trouble changing channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble changing channel

We have a Series 2 Tivo unit, Humax T2500. Our signal is routed through a General Instruments Cable box. Comcast is our supplier. We have three remotes--one for the TV, one for Tivo, one for the cable box.

We have a frequent problem changing channels. The TV remote is used only for on/off and volume. Our problem is changing channel with either the Tivo remote or the cable box remote. Sometimes neither remote will change the channel. Many times we have programmed Tivo to record a program, only to discover that it failed to change channel, and recorded on the wrong program on the wrong channel. This is, therefore, not a problem with the remotes, but rather a problem between the cable box and Tivo.

We have replaced the cable box numerous times, thinking maybe that was the problem. It seems to help briefly, but the problem soon returns.

What's my next step?

Are you using an IR blaster? Some other method?

If it's IR, have you tried a new cable? Have you tried repositioning the cable?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, I am using an IR system, presumably an IR Blaster. It looks like the one you sell at Weaknees. I have repositioned it many times, with only limited success.

Sometimes the system will change channel briefly, for a few seconds, then revert to the previous channel. It will do this with either the Tivo remote or the Comcast remote. It's all very frustrating.

I hate to spend money on this, throw parts at the problem, hoping that it MIGHT fix it. Is there any definitive test for the IR cable?

Comment

You might try going through setup again and being very methodical about saying "yes" to any of the questions if it isn't changing channels well or consistently. The TiVo will eventually choose a slower method for changing channels that might be more reliable for you.

Comment

Working...
        X