Welcome to the Hinsdale How To area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the Hinsdale How To area

Just wanted to put up a post here to say that if you have any questions on the Hinsdale How To guide, we'll do our best to answer them! Start a new thread if you have a question, and we're pretty sure you'll have an answer right away.
    Been here a long time . . .

Hinsdale Step 10 Config 3 question

I have a Hughes SD-DVR40.

I bought a 500GB Maxtor quickview drive so that I could replace my Tivo original WD 40GB drive. Used it right out of the box. Did not format with maxtor SW or XP.

Step 10 is the step in question.
    I performed step 10, configuration 3, with a change to /dev/hdb since I connected the new drive to Primary slave.
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

The summary report indicated that it used 147 GB (I believe that was the number displayed).

Now, I only have 120 hours of recording instead of an estimated 400 hours. Approximately 350GB of the drive is unused.

What step did I miss to reacquire the unused space on my new hard drive?

Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Sounds like you didn't use a boot CD that was LBA 48 aware, so your drive was capped at 137 GB. What did you boot from?

Also, with drives that large, you need to include "-r 4" in the restore string, like this:

Code:
      mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

Comment

I used mfstools2.iso. Thanks for the instructions. I will create a new CD with LBA48 and recopy my original WD40 GB drive.

Do I need to somehow erase my new 500GB drive first?

Comment

No - no need to erase. Just do the copy again and mfstools will disregard any data that was already on the 500 GB drive.

Comment

Possible to "upgrade" to a smaller hard drive?

I have Toshiba SD H400 with 80gb drive and it's not working. I have a 60gb drive laying around the house and want to put it in the tivo. The hinsdale instructions say that the new drive must be as large as the original I'm backing up. Is there a workaround on this, to allow me to use the 60gb drive instead of buying a new 80 gb drive?
            Thanks
            Steve

Comment

To be more specific, the replacement drive needs to be at least as large as the original drive in the unit - so it still applies here, and you can't use that drive. There's no way to use anything smaller than an 80 GB drive.

But even if you had a larger drive, do you have the TiVo OS image that you'd need?

Comment

OS question

I'm attempting to copy the tivo backup and hope it works on the new drive. If not, where can I get the OS?

Comment

They really aren't available online for legal reasons, but we can format the drive for you here.

Comment

backup won't expand

I copied image from 80 gb drive to 160 gb drive with MFS tools. It copied, but when I tried to expand on the drive, it said there wasn't room on the drive. Should I format the 160gb drive and repeat the process?

Comment

Was the 80 the original drive, or was it an expanded drive already?

Comment

replacing 80 GB drive with 160 GB drive

The TIVO was not working correctly with the original 80GB drive installed. I purchased a used, supposedly functional 160 GB quickview drive, formatted it using Maxblast 4 (FAT32), booted with MFS tools boot cd, backed up the original 80GB drive to a FAT32 HDD, restored & expanded the backup to the newly formatted 160GB drive, installed into TIVO, and all it does is say "Welcome, powering up..." then turns off, restarts, and repeats over and over.

I did accidentally boot the 80GB drive in WinXP before doing all this. Could that be causing the problem, or do you think I need to obtain a new image for the new drive? How likely is it that the problem is not the hard drive?

Thanks
                        Steve
                        Last edited by Dudaronamous; 12-19-2006, 11:40 AM. Reason: added a question at the end.

Comment

My SD-H400 HD has gone bad. I obtained another 80gig drive and put an instant cake image on it. It boots now but there is no guided setup anymore and and it acts like I no longer have Free Basic Service anymore. I can use he DVD and get to the basic menu, but no Live TV and it won't complete a dial out. Called Tivo and they have no record of me. Toshiba tech support was closed. I'm guessing Toshiba is where my box was calling.
                          If I buy a new formatted HD from Weaknees will my Free Tivo Basic return and will I get the guided menu back? I'm not going to try DIY anymore. I just want it to work and not have to go through a bunch of phone calls. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by edaffron View Post
                            My SD-H400 HD has gone bad. I obtained another 80gig drive and put an instant cake image on it. It boots now but there is no guided setup anymore and and it acts like I no longer have Free Basic Service anymore. I can use he DVD and get to the basic menu, but no Live TV and it won't complete a dial out. Called Tivo and they have no record of me. Toshiba tech support was closed. I'm guessing Toshiba is where my box was calling.
                            If I buy a new formatted HD from Weaknees will my Free Tivo Basic return and will I get the guided menu back? I'm not going to try DIY anymore. I just want it to work and not have to go through a bunch of phone calls. Thanks for any advice.
                            We have never had a customer with these problems. My guess is that something is wrong with your image or the installation. I'd recommend that you try one of our drives.

Comment

Working...
                            X