Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2007 info is really pretty out of date - it's related largely to software versions that aren't in use.

I do think that TiVo is probably right about the attenuation issue. We often see that. So the easiest thing to do would be Radio Shack - it's not an expensive part, and it could solve the issues.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

• Rebooting every few months

Hi,

I've had my Tivo 3 for more than a year, and I get reboot "cycles" every few months. For some unknown reason, the box starts rebooting itself. I can be watching something or not, no discernable pattern. After a while, things go back to normal and the Tivo works perfectly!

I've talked with Tivo Support today and during the last reboot cycle. They even sent me a replacement box and still the issue returns. They are saying it could be an issue from the cable company, but I unplugged the coax cable and the box is still rebooting itself.

Any ideas what it could be? I do not have CableCards on the box. It seems that these wouldn't resolve the issue if my problem comes up every so often. I have the wireless network adapter and have also tried removing it and connecting directly to my router.

Thanks,
      Carmen

Comment

• Originally posted by CarmenP View Post
        Hi,

I've had my Tivo 3 for more than a year, and I get reboot "cycles" every few months. For some unknown reason, the box starts rebooting itself. I can be watching something or not, no discernable pattern. After a while, things go back to normal and the Tivo works perfectly!

I've talked with Tivo Support today and during the last reboot cycle. They even sent me a replacement box and still the issue returns. They are saying it could be an issue from the cable company, but I unplugged the coax cable and the box is still rebooting itself.

Any ideas what it could be? I do not have CableCards on the box. It seems that these wouldn't resolve the issue if my problem comes up every so often. I have the wireless network adapter and have also tried removing it and connecting directly to my router.

Thanks,
        Carmen
        It could be an issue with the signal strength coming into the TiVo. See:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150

You might also want to get a UPS, see:
        http://www.weaknees.com/protect.php

Comment

• Series 3 with reboot/channel macro blockitng problems

Just purchased hard drive upgrade from WK in case it is the drive but the symptoms are:

(1) had Seagate Drive external 1TB on tivo and knew this was a problem
          (2) removed Seagate and purchased WDC 1TB
          (3) pairing WDC was troublesome and had many reboots with pairing/unpairing
          (4) removed WDC when problem continued
          (5) macroblocking and occaissional reboots along with sluggish menus continue
          (6) noticed cable card was loose and poped in back in
          (7) RTFM and read the directions by WKJeff at top of this thread
          (8) was able to re-pair cable cards, but it is still sluggish to a degree that I am unable to rerun guided setup.

I will continue to try to rerun guided setup until I get the new hard drive.
          Good news is new hard drive is 1TB so after I will have a 2TB S3 with lifetime service.

Meanwhile I will move the old Pioneer into that room.

Also I wonder what I should do with my oldest TiVo Series 2 AT&T model with extra hard drive. It has lifetime service, but does not work. Is there any value in it? Can't believe I actually have a TiVo almost a decade old although it is not functional.

Comment

• Today my S3 just kept rebooting, never getting to the menu screen. I tried holding the pause button during the restarts trying to reinstall the software but the tivo was not responding. I also unplugged it for over 3 mins and it is still doing this.

I'd like to repair it if it could be done, it does have a lifetime sub.

*Update*
            I did remove the cable cards and now it is working...
            All of my channels are still there without the cable cards in...
            What is the point of having cable cards?

Comment

• You really still get all of your live channels? Do you have any premium channels?

Comment

• Series 3 Rebooting

I have read the string, removed all cards, removed the cable connection, removed the video switching box, removed the tivo slider remote, removed the internet connection, swapped cards, removed the optical audio connection, replaced the stock hard drive with a brand new 2TB from you all, and pulled a little hair out.

So now with nothing but the HDMI and the power plug installed it is still rebooting never getting past almost there just a few minutes more......

It does not make any strange sounds it is not hot and I can not see any other reason why it would reboot but it is every few mins.

If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

JS

Comment

• Ok I also pulled out the meter and the voltage seems to be ok and steady even during power up. There is a single capacitor with a slight top bulge but no others. I also checked all of the connections. I am getting a little worried it may be a mother board. It is a clean drive from weaknees so I am guessing it is not the drive. any input would be great!

Comment

• The bulging top on the capacitor is a pretty clear indicator of a power supply problem. We even have some pictures of those here:

http://www.weaknees.com/bps

I'm pretty sure you just need a new power supply:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Comment

• Thanks! I will swap out the capacitor and see if it fixes it. If that does not work I will pick up a new one from you guys.

Comment

• My unit started rebooting. If I pulled CableCard 2, it would boot fine. Insert CableCard 2, rebooting sequence starts with continual rebooting. Base on the forums, I decided to try replcaing the Power Supply and ordered one from Weaknees. Installed it and WOW, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Comment

• Great - glad that did the trick!

Comment

• TiVo HD Continously Rebooting

I'm new to this forum and will start by saying that my 18 month old TiVo HD (Model TCD652160) started to show problems immediately after a windstorm caused an overnight power outage at my house. My TiVo is plugged into a surge protector, along with my HDTV and DVD player, so when the power came back on I was relieved to find my TV seemed to be working OK via the cable input, but when I switched to TiVo HDMI input there was a blank white screen! I tried rebooting and it booted all the way up to the "Now Playing" screen and I was happy to see that all my recordings were still there - then it went into a reboot cycle again. This time it couldn't get past the Welcome screen before rebooting again.

Several times since I have tried disconnecting everything, leaving it off overnight and plugging it into a different power outlet. Sometimes it would boot all the way up (once I even watched a one hour recorded program and then it rebooted) other times it couldn't get past the "Almost There" screen. Now it only gets to the Welcome screen before rebooting a couple of times and then ends up at the blank white screen.

Now after reading some of this thread I am curious to try Kickstart 54 and Overnight and would like to know - can these programs fix problems in any way or do they just give a Pass or Fail result? Also is the Overnight likely or not to run to completion on a TiVo that is having such frequent reboot problems? What happens when Kickstart is finished - do you unplug and power up again to force a normal reboot or do something with the remote or what?

Comment

• The kickstart 54 is a diagnosis-only tool. It will not repair problems. Frankly, any tool that says it can repair physical problems on a hard drive is probably nonsense. Once a drive starts failing, the end is near.

The 57 can sometimes fix software corruption issues.

The 54 is likely to complete if it starts, yes. It doesn't use the full OS, just a small few lines of code, so it should be stable.

Comment

• Series 3 rebooting

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                                The 2007 info is really pretty out of date - it's related largely to software versions that aren't in use.

I do think that TiVo is probably right about the attenuation issue. We often see that. So the easiest thing to do would be Radio Shack - it's not an expensive part, and it could solve the issues.
                                I was just about to follow the advice from 2007 when I read this message. So should I try pulling the cards or no?

My problem:
                                Back in May or June my channels started getting blocky or cutting out, I called RCN and after doing all their nonsense they were sending someone out and promised he'd bring new cards.
                                Of course he didn't bring new cards. He had some defective cards. He was a nice guy and felt bad for me so he called someone and together they "fixed" these defective cards and installed them and things were fine for a while. Then I left for a summer vacation and watched my Tivo Series 3 via Slingbox. That was fine for a while and then the rebooting started.
                                I found this thread and thought there was nothing I could do until I got home. Now I am home and reading the thread more carefully, find the info above.

I see it cuts out during my soap operas on ABC. I see it comes back online often after 10 pm. I assume if I call RCN they will say it's a Tivo problem.

help?

Comment

Working...
                                X