Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sure doesn't sound like software to me...sounds like a bad drive or, if the pixellation was occurring 100% of the time after those 15 minutes, it could be a motherboard or heat-related issue. It is pretty hard to know for sure.

Comment

That sounds a lot more like a bad drive. Sometimes, bad drives run for months, but a new OS update takes them down because it uses a different part of the drive that has more problems.

But, either way, a new drive is likely to get you back up and running.

Replacement TiVo Series3 drives
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

reboot. .

My reboots seem to be associated with using the Raphsody software from Tivo.

Is there anyway to un-install it?

Thanks,
        Lee

Comment

if it rebooting after you put the cable cards in try leaving them out for a day or so to see if it stops rebooting because faulty cable cards and adapters could cause it to reboot.

Comment

Tech Challenged with my tivo

My tivo is stuck on trying to reset itself. I went into complete this task because I too was getting an error message that my tivo cannot connect to the number.

I read where we have to go in and put another one in- I am not sure how to do this at all.

I put in my 614 area code and then it says it will find a tivo number.. I guess it cannot find it.

It wont record today since I did this and I cannot even go in and watch what I have on there.
            I have powered it down several times. Also I have a dial tone on my phone line until Tivo tries to call.

Can someone give me step by step directions? I am so frustrated with this
            How do I atleast get back to the main screen?

Comment

Find a dial-in number here:

http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do

Then in the dialing prefix of your TiVo, enter

,#019,,XXXXXXXX

Replace the Xs with the number you got from above, and enter it as you would dial it on your phone.

The comma is the pause button on the remote; # is the enter button.

Comment

Originally posted by pninen View Post
                No. Well, no stuttering or pixellation, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by freezing, so let me be explicit. The event always goes down like this: First the playback stops. The image on the screen is frozen, and sound ceases. Four seconds go by. Then the TiVo begins a reboot. Each time I've seen this it has been during playback of an SD recording. Have never seen it while watching HD, and have never seen it while on a TiVo menu. Is that what you call a "freeze"?

This EXACT thing just started happening to me, and the "freezing" is happening more and more every day.

What did you ever find out about this and the solution? I have a TiVo HD model #TCD652160

Comment

Top problem there would be a bad drive. Next most likely is a bad CableCARD.

Comment

Is it software or hardware?

Originally posted by Homco View Post
                    This EXACT thing just started happening to me, and the "freezing" is happening more and more every day.

What did you ever find out about this and the solution? I have a TiVo HD model #TCD652160
                    Same here. Same model, same problem. Just started happening in the past 2 weeks. Can't make it through a show without it freezing up then rebooting. I tried the cable card trick on page one and that didn't work, either. I tried disconnecting the external WD DVR Expander drive and that didn't seem to help, either. And of course the warranty was up in October.

Before I invest in a new drive, I want to make sure that this isn't a 9.4 software issue, instead of hardware. Neither internal or external drive is showing any signs of failure -- clicking, fan running constantly, skips, etc. Just this freeze and reboot nonsense which seems to have come out of nowhere.

Is there a kickstart we can try? And how does that work again?

Comment

It really sounds like a drive. Just be aware that a replacement drive won't see your external drive be default.

Comment

So far, so good, knock on wood.

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                        It really sounds like a drive. Just be aware that a replacement drive won't see your external drive be default.
                        Well, I divorced the expander and RMA'd it with WD. So far, without the DVR expander, I haven't had a single freeze or reboot in almost 24 hours. The expander is covered by warranty so it can't hurt to have it replaced. If the replacement causes the same issue, I'll probably invest in an internal upgrade as I definitely will need the capacity through the holidays.

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan - also be sure your eSATA cable is rock solid. We've seen some cheap ones out there that can cause problems.

Comment

New TiVo HD - Restarts randomly

My TiVo came on Monday 12/8/08 and I started to use it on my basic cable. The box spent some time updating the software and the following day Netflix appeared and then another update later the Video On Demand appeared. I've noticed that the box restarts randomly. I do notice that most of the time it is when I'm streaming Netflix or if it's communicating with TiVo. The box is a 'refurb' box, but I find it hard to believe that a box just out from TiVo has a bad drive already. It seems like there is a software issue, it hangs and is very slow to respond. i.e. press TiVo Central and then the background takes a moment to appear. I'm no expert, but it seems like this new software is buggy and causing the restarts. As I type this the cable company is here installing my CableCard and while they were installing it the TiVo was trying to acquire signal and restarted in the middle of the process and they had to start again. I haven't called TiVo yet, but plan to call them in the coming days if it continues. Anyone noticing similar issues with their boxes restarting when it's doing something via the Ethernet?

Comment

Originally posted by arnie79 View Post
                              My TiVo came on Monday 12/8/08 and I started to use it on my basic cable. The box spent some time updating the software and the following day Netflix appeared and then another update later the Video On Demand appeared. I've noticed that the box restarts randomly. I do notice that most of the time it is when I'm streaming Netflix or if it's communicating with TiVo. The box is a 'refurb' box, but I find it hard to believe that a box just out from TiVo has a bad drive already. It seems like there is a software issue, it hangs and is very slow to respond. i.e. press TiVo Central and then the background takes a moment to appear. I'm no expert, but it seems like this new software is buggy and causing the restarts. As I type this the cable company is here installing my CableCard and while they were installing it the TiVo was trying to acquire signal and restarted in the middle of the process and they had to start again. I haven't called TiVo yet, but plan to call them in the coming days if it continues. Anyone noticing similar issues with their boxes restarting when it's doing something via the Ethernet?
                              This is not a common problem and I"d recommend that you give Tivo a call.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
                                This is not a common problem and I"d recommend that you give Tivo a call.
                                This DOES appear to be a common problem with the version 11 upgrade. It started happening to me last night after almost two years of problem-free viewing, although in my case it seems worse when I'm recording in HD - I haven't set up a Netflix account yet.
                                Check out the threads about Netflix and version 11 in this forum, there are hundreds of posts over the last week or two:
                                http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=51

Comment

Working...
                                X