This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service from weaKnees

I am not sure where to post this message, but a comment about weaKnees is due. On the Thursday prior to Christmas, I sent a pair of hard drives to WeaKnees for installing software for my TIVO 3. I live near San Francisco. On the following Wendsday, just after Christmas, I received back my hard drives. Formated for my TIVO 3. I installed one and fired up the new TIVO. All is working just fine. Where on the planet can anyone get service like this? Nice going weaKnees! Russ

Comment

Originally posted by bigruss View Post
      I am not sure where to post this message, but a comment about weaKnees is due. On the Thursday prior to Christmas, I sent a pair of hard drives to WeaKnees for installing software for my TIVO 3. I live near San Francisco. On the following Wendsday, just after Christmas, I received back my hard drives. Formated for my TIVO 3. I installed one and fired up the new TIVO. All is working just fine. Where on the planet can anyone get service like this? Nice going weaKnees! Russ
      This place is as good as any - really any place is perfect for a nice comment! Much appreciated! Glad to hear you're happy with our service!
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Can't find this topic in any other thread or forum, so will launch here...

On my Series-3 HD box, the front panel "sometimes" identifies (displays) the title of a program currently being recorded. Two questions:

1) What determines whether or not the title is displayed next to the red LED on the front panel?

2) Is there some way I can FORCE my box to always display the title? This is a handy and convenient thing, and it should be the default. Its nice to be able to see what my TiVo is recording even if my TV is off.

Comment

Recording 2 shows at once

Question re: "Record 2 digital cable shows at once"

I want to buy a Series 3 or HD unit and use two signal sources: analog cable, and over-the-air HDTV. I think I can do that, right? But am I correct that I won't be able to record two channels at once since they're not digital cable? What is the reason for that limitation? Thank you.

Comment

Yes, you can do that, and yes, you can actually record two shows at once from either source.

Comment

Recrording two at once

Thanks. So what does it mean in the specs when it says "Two CableCARD decoders required (available from your cable provider)." I don't have a cable card at all. Just a plain analog cable wire coming into my house (well into my existing TIVO, actually.)

Comment

It just means that to get HD or premium stations on an HD TiVo, you have to contact your cable company to order CableCARDs. A CableCARD is like a cable box on a card that is inserted into the back of your TiVo.

Comment

MY HD TV decodes HD channels on my basic cable feed. However, the Tivo HD does not. It appears the Tivo HD REQUIRES the card, correct? Furthermore, it seems if I really want to record two sources at once, I would need two cards, for which my cable company wants to charge me another $25/mo. for a 2nd card. Is there any way to record two sources with only one card?

Finally, does anyone know of any way to manage three Tivos in one room? i.e. any remote control alternatives or are there only two different discrete codes in the Tivo software? Since the new HD Tivos don't work with DirecTV, I am forced to create this elaborate setup which includes two SD Tivos, one DirecTV DVR (UGH!) and one Tivo HD.

Comment

Originally posted by BRNJones View Post
                    MY HD TV decodes HD channels on my basic cable feed. However, the Tivo HD does not. It appears the Tivo HD REQUIRES the card, correct? Furthermore, it seems if I really want to record two sources at once, I would need two cards, for which my cable company wants to charge me another $25/mo. for a 2nd card. Is there any way to record two sources with only one card?

Finally, does anyone know of any way to manage three Tivos in one room? i.e. any remote control alternatives or are there only two different discrete codes in the Tivo software? Since the new HD Tivos don't work with DirecTV, I am forced to create this elaborate setup which includes two SD Tivos, one DirecTV DVR (UGH!) and one Tivo HD.
                    $25/mo for a CableCARD?! Are you sure that is not the service call charge? I have never heard of a cable co charging that much for a cable card.

Yes, you need 2 cards to record 2 stations, unless your cable co supports Multi-stream cards.

You can control up to 9 TiVos in one room. There are discrete codes 1-9.

Comment

Two cards are needed, yes, there is a set up charge

You will need two cards. My Comcast charges I think $2 a month rent for the cards. There are basic HD channels you will get for free. For an extra $5 a month, you get the local HD channels added to the cards. For an extra $5 again you get all the HD channels on your cable system. Should you subscribe to a service such as HBO, you will get those HD channels with the first $5 subscription. The $25 service fee is well worth it. I had two bozos come out here 4 times each and got it working on the last visit. Yes, they were both clowns, didn't know Jack $hit either. Spent about 10 hours total on their cell phone trying to make it work. Changed the cards 3 times. The TIVO 3 can record two channels at the same time and play what is recorded at the same time as well. Sweet.

Comment

Yeah, they want $25 for the second card because I only have one TV activated for cable service according to them. so to get the second card, I need to activate another TV which it is $25/mo. more to have multiple TVs...and THIS is just one more reason I have DirecTV as my primary!! I modulate the cable channels and my satellite throughout my house to eight other TVs anyway.

So the Tivo MANDATES a CableCard to even give you the FREE HD channels that come over the wire, correct? I just don't understand this becasue my two HD sets (which have card slots) show our local HD channels without cards so why did Tivo make it that we MUST pay extra for these cards??? I have even scanned for these channels and it does not pick them up on the Cable OR Antenna inputs.

Comment

So I am assuming the discrete codes are all activated in the same manner the usual "1" and "2" are? You just have to remember which remote you programmed differently, right?

Thanks a lot guys for all of your input!!

Comment

Originally posted by BRNJones View Post
                            So I am assuming the discrete codes are all activated in the same manner the usual "1" and "2" are? You just have to remember which remote you programmed differently, right?

Thanks a lot guys for all of your input!!
                            That is correct; or you can get a remote with a DVR1/DVR2 switch, which we have on the website.

Comment

I notice that Tivo now offers an external drive (My DVR Expander) for the Series 3. Does that mean I can now use my Maxtor external drive with my Series 3?

Comment

In some cases, yes, and in some, no. We have more info and kits here:

http://www.weaknees.com/esata

Comment

Working...
                                X