8300 HD Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8300 HD Kits

We have some kits for expanding the 8300 HD. We were using the Maxtor QuickView Expander line. But those are gone, and Maxtor is no more.

At this point, we're using the Maxtor Expander cases with various internal drives. We're pretty happy with the result. If you want more info, see the page about these units here.
    Last edited by WK-Michael; 11-18-2006, 08:15 AM.
    Been here a long time . . .

question

On the Scientific Atlanta box I have, they tell you you can get about 18- 20 hours of HD programing on a 160 GIG drive. Therfore, at that ratio I would expect to get 33 to 37 hours of expansion capability. In th FAQ section you talk about 20 to 25 HD hours. What am I missing. Also what is the return policy if it did not work at all?

Comment

We always try to err on the conservative side when we list the hours gained with our upgrade kits. We're not sure you'll get as many as you calculated, but we do think you'll likely end up with more than 25 additional.

We have a 15% restocking fee on returns, and a 30 day window.

Comment

One more question

I was able to get in the diagnostic mode and I am running SARA. Is that the only compatibility test? Also in the FAQs says the provider has to enable the box for external recording. What is involved in that process. It often appears I know more than they do just from reading your web site. I am wondering if they will know how to do that. Any thoughts?

Comment

Actually, the provider has either already enabled the box, or won't do it at all, in our experience. When they have these manufactured by SA, they tell SA whether or not to enable external storage.

Comment

Is there any way to check a setting on the box to see if it has been enabled, possibly on the diagnostics screen? By the way , thank you for you quick response to my questions. What ever way I go, I will buy from you guys.

Comment

If you have the SARA software, then you should have no problem with the external QVX drive.

Comment

Thanks guys, I received the 300GB drive from you guys just before the holidays. It works great. I had to plug it in and reboot it twice to get the main unit to recognize it, but that was no big deal. I am not sure I did it right the first time. It looks like I have about 55+ hours of HD recording capability compared to the 19-20 hours I had when I started. What a difference!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                  We have some kits for expanding the 8300 HD. We were using the Maxtor QuickView Expander line. But those are gone, and Maxtor is no more.

At this point, we're using the Maxtor Expander cases with various internal drives. We're pretty happy with the result. If you want more info, see the page about these units here.
                  Has anyone tried these on Rogers Cable in Canada yet? I did check and my 8300 is running SARA.

Comment

Playback Issues

I purchased one of these kits last month. Installation was easy, and disk usage went from around 48% to around 15%.

The problem is playback. Even when the unit is not simultaneously recording a live program, it seems like I can't go 5 minutes without a noticeable glitch (pixelation and audio drop). The recording is fine; if I rewind and replay, the glitch disappears. I'm happy to have all the extra recording space, but the playback glitches are a drag. Any suggestions?

Comment

Have you tried just rebooting the unit and the DVR? You should also be sure the power is very clean. Are you on a UPS?

Comment

Originally posted by msg View Post
                        The problem is playback. Even when the unit is not simultaneously recording a live program, it seems like I can't go 5 minutes without a noticeable glitch (pixelation and audio drop). The recording is fine; if I rewind and replay, the glitch disappears. I'm happy to have all the extra recording space, but the playback glitches are a drag. Any suggestions?
                        Just sent you guys a note about this, but thought I'd try here as well.

I'm having the same problem with my SA 8300HD. Had TimeWarner come out to check the lines, and all was perfect (0 errors, dead-on correct signal strength). I've watch the Diag screen endlessly and see no errors/signal strength problems.

Have rebooted several times. Unit is plugged into Monster Clean Power Protector - same one as my Pioneer Pro Elite plasma).

It's so consistent that I've stopped using it and am back to using the internal drive only. Some glitches clear up when rewinding, most don't. Watching recorded and live TV are fine when using just the internal drive.

Really hope you can help with this, as it's just not usable.

Kind regards,
                        .//A.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                          Have you tried just rebooting the unit and the DVR? You should also be sure the power is very clean. Are you on a UPS?

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I will reboot and see what happens. My UPS was full, so I plugged the hard drive and another piece of equipment into an extension cord running off the last open UPS outlet. I'll try plugging the unit directly into the UPS, if you think that may make a difference.

Comment

Maxtor Expander instrctions

Does anyone know the order that the cables are supposed to hooked up for the Maxtor Quickview Expander, 160gb?

Also, are the instructions for hookup and diconnect available still. I lost mine. I know there was a specific order to connect and especially disconnect in order not to lose data or "damamge the drive."

thank you

Comment

SA8300HD Pixelation with Weaknees HD

Hi,

I notice I'm not alone with the strange pixelation problems. I never had a problem with the SA8300HD pixelating when I had it plugged into the wall. Has anyone solved this problem by using a UPS backup power unit? Has anyone actually solved this problem at all? Does anyone know if programs I recorded before I attached the HD will be affected if I remove the HD (like all of Planet Earth)? Is pixelation an actual word?

Thanks,
                              bkowmac

Comment

Working...
                              X