Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting some digital channels

Hello all,

I have a new, Weaknees-upgraded Tivo Premiere. The Time Warner Cable techs just installed a cablecard today. They also installed a Cisco STA5120 tuning adapter. And yet I am not receiving some digital channels that we get just fine on our tv in another room. (This tv in the other room gets its cable signal through a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box; no Tivo on that setup.) Specifically, I am looking to tune in Versus, ch. 267 in my local (San Fernando Valley, CA) lineup. But all I get is a black screen with a message from Tivo about problems with the signal. I checked some other nearby channels, such as Outdoor and Speed. No go on those. And yet I *do* get ch. 265, which is the digital non-HD version of The Golf Channel. I called TWC and they could not figure out how to fix this problem over the phone, so they are sending out a tech Monday. But it would be great if I could fix without their intervention. Any ideas what might be happening here?

Thanks,
    David

Sounds like Comcast didn't program the CableCARD and/or the tuning adapter properly.

Comment

Comcast had some trouble with the M-card installations for my Tivo Premiere and Tivo HD. The 2nd tech they sent was awesome and knew the fix. She called Comcast tech support, had them delete the service for the specific cards, then re-add them to my account.

Turns out the previous attempts to get the cards "provisioned" were botched because of keyboarding errors. She told me that most of the calls she gets to "fix" cable card issues are because the tech on the other end of the phone either switches numbers/letters, or swaps the "data number" for the "Host number". She had my systems up and getting all the channels I pay for in less than 10 minutes.

Comment

I had similar issues with a [cable card+tuning adapter] installation from Cox Cable. Their technicians have limited training on what is effectively "foreign" hardware and they can't do much for you. Once the tuning adapter is able to sync with the appropriate content provider server, they're done.

They have to call a level-2 technician who can change the settings on your cable card account (which is effectively independent of your account through the set-top box provided by the cable supplier.

Content for cable cards are apparently provided by an independent content server. In fact, in a chat with a level-1 support person, they told me "We don't provide the channels for you TiVo." (which may or may not be precisely accurate.)

Comment

Working...
        X