SAT-T60 Drive Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAT-T60 Drive Replacement

I am planning a drive replacement from the original drive (single 40Gb Quantum) to a new 160GB drive (Weaknees DB35 pre-formatted drive kit).

I am guessing the original drive has some bad sectors or something because rewinds or fast forwards sometime stop or skip forward to the end. (only happens at 3x rewinds/ff's and typically during live tv and fairly infrequently). So, replacing the drive rather than just adding a 2nd drive seems like the better option.

I would also like to preserve all settings and recordings.

First just to confirm, even though the new drive is pre-formatted, I assume all of the same Hindsdale backup-restore-expand etc. steps will be needed and that the restore will simply overwrite the pre-formatted partitions?

Second is whether the mfsbackup-restore commands will run into any problems (assuming there are bad sectors on the original disk) and/or even if the commands completed ok, would they transfer the skipping/stopping problem to the new disk? If so, would the dd or maybe dd_rescue methods be a better option?

Also, current software version is 3.5-01-1-011 (yes this is old, but the modem no longer works and I no longer have a land line anyway - other than the daily call messages and the dst annoyances, it doesn't bother me). Would any of this cause the upgrade to fail or change the procedure/options used?

Thanks in advance for the help. Hopefully will get this right the first time and not struggle with trial and error methods.

If your drive is bad (or going bad) dd_rescue is the better option.

After the copy, you'll still have to add the additional space to your drive. Honestly, though, you might be much better off just using the 160gb drive that you have as-is and reprogramming your settings. If you try this copy and it fails, your weaKnees drive will no longer function and you will be left with nothing that works.

Comment

The stopping/skipping problem is the only thing that makes me think the drive may have some bad sectors on it - it has been that way for over a year and has not gotten worse. Don't know if this is a good assumption or not.

So 2 follow-ups
      Does using the new drive as-is and reprogramming the settings require a dial in?
      And if I attempt to preserve settings and recordings, would a mfsbackup (or dd) of the new drive prior to anything else give me a way back in case the copy fails?

Thanks again!

Comment

Can you clarify ?

I have held off my upgrade after reading all of the recent "can't get local access numbers" problem.

If I understand everything correctly, that does mean that installing a new upgrade drive from Weaknees does require a dial-in in order to get everything running again. (again my modem is dead and I no longer have a hard phone line)

If however, I do the Mfsbackup/restore -- or a dd/dd_rescue - will the dial in still be required for local channels or any other functionality?

If something does not go right and the new drive gets stuck at the dial in (or any other) step, can I go back to the original drive without any problems?

Comment

Originally posted by rob-atl View Post

So 2 follow-ups
          Does using the new drive as-is and reprogramming the settings require a dial in?
          And if I attempt to preserve settings and recordings, would a mfsbackup (or dd) of the new drive prior to anything else give me a way back in case the copy fails?

Thanks again!
          Yes, a new drive requires a dial-in.

Yes, a copy like that would give you a backup.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by rob-atl View Post
            I have held off my upgrade after reading all of the recent "can't get local access numbers" problem.

If I understand everything correctly, that does mean that installing a new upgrade drive from Weaknees does require a dial-in in order to get everything running again. (again my modem is dead and I no longer have a hard phone line)

If however, I do the Mfsbackup/restore -- or a dd/dd_rescue - will the dial in still be required for local channels or any other functionality?

If something does not go right and the new drive gets stuck at the dial in (or any other) step, can I go back to the original drive without any problems?
            The local access number issue has been resolved.

Comment

Sorry I am still unclear - so 3 more questions,
              -does a new drive with a restored image from my current drive (either mfsrestore or dd/dd_rescue) require a dial in ?
              -Also - if I remove my current drive and for some reason cannot restore the image to the new drive, can I reinstall the old/current drive without a dial in (or some other problem)?
              -Are there any problems with local channels in either of these cases or is that a problem only with a new drive installed without an image from the old drive?

Comment

-Restored from your current image, no, it won't require a dial-in. But that issue has been fixed.

-The current drive? Reinstallation shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't get overwritten in your PC.

-Either way, that's very unlikely to be a problem. If so, a quick phone call to DTV fixes it.

Comment

Ok - thanks - I think (hope) I've got it now - the dead modem/no hard phone line looked like it was going to be a showstopper for me, but now (hopefully) the only thing I need to worry about is getting the image from the old to the new drive.

Comment

Sounds right - if your modem is dead, a copy is the best way.

Comment

Failure - and Success !!
                      For some reason, the initial backup/restore/test described in the Hindsdale How to (mfsbackup -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc -then- mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc) would not work. The commands competed successfully, no errors, but when back in the machine for the test, it would hang at Powering Up screen. Tried it twice same result.
                      Decided nothing to loose, so went ahead with the full copy with recordings (mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda) and everything is working!
                      All drives remained jumpered to master, all connections were triple checked, and software version is 3.5 so the "runideturbo" didn't apply. Not sure why, but now good to go - maybe this will help someone else as well.
                      Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Hmm. Not sure why the first one didn't work, but glad it's going now.

Comment

Working...
                        X