Troubleshoot SWM coax networking to Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshoot SWM coax networking to Internet

I'm trying to troubleshoot Internet access via a SWM coax network. It is mostly working, but there are some anomalies that I would like to track down. DirecTV tech support is at a loss to figure it out.

I have a SWM system consisting of the following components:
    • HR20-700 (with DECA)
    • HR24
    • H24
    • DECA Router kit connecting to my home network
    • Above 4 components plugged into a SWM splitter, connecting to SWM-8 and 5-LNB dish
    • Everything is green-label
    • Software is up-to-date on all receivers

Initially, I was unable to access the Internet from any of the receivers. I determined that they were acquiring IP addresses of 169.x.x.x, indicating that the DHCP handshake had failed. (However, the router's DHCP table indicated that it had assigned IP addresses to the DirecTV devices. Other devices on my network have no trouble with DHCP.)

I then assigned static IP addresses to each of the receivers. Following that, I am able to access the Internet from the HR20 and the HR24, but still not from the H24. The H24 indicates that the network is connected (coax networking) but the Internet is not connected (error 22).

Whole-house viewing (MRV) is activated and is working correctly on all three receivers. Clearly, my coax network is working; the problem is with getting through to the Internet via the coax network from one of my receivers.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a problem such as this or can offer any suggestions for further troubleshooting.

I would shut down everything on the SWM network. Then power up just the SWM. Then power up the DECA router kit.

Then wait a few minutes, and power up each receiver one by one, switch them back to DHCP, and reboot them.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

This is an update to report that the problem is resolved. Apparently, the DHCP client implementation in the DirecTV receivers is very sensitive to the configuration of the network.

In addition to an Internet router, my home network has several Ethernet switches and wireless access points. I had connected the DECA router to an Ethernet port that is two switches downstream from the Internet router. I moved this connection to a different switch that is closer to the Internet router. Now, the DHCP handshake works reliably on all three receivers.

Comment

Huh. Could one of the cascaded routers have been supplying its own DHCP maybe?

Thanks for the update.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X