Series 3 freezes when analog cable is connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 freezes when analog cable is connected

I have a Series 3 that freezes and eventually reboots when an analog signal is connected to the coaxial "cable-in" jack. The Tivo tech support guy suggested that the signal power might be too high. Therefore, I tried connecting a 2-way splitter (approx. 3.5 dB attenuation). That did not help so I tried a 3-way splitter (approx. 6.5 dB attenuation). Even that did not help so I tried connecting them in series for a total of about 10 dB attenuation. Still no results. I also tried the "digital cable signal strength metere" included with the unit and could not get the signal strength below 91 out of 100. I'm not sure what the units are, or whether the scale is relative or absolute. Anyway, the unit works fine as long as the cable is not connected. We can watch our previously recorded programs and Netflix movies, but we can no longer record new programs. Note we gave up digital cable a while ago and went with the typical "expanded basic" option from Knology. Does anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking about stopping by an electronics store and trying to find an adustable attenuator to get the signal strength lower. Note that Tivo will replace the unit for $150. I could upgrade to Premier for about $470. I'd hate to replace the unit because it has the lifetime Tivo service. Seems like a waste of money since we have an original Sony Tivo 1 with lifetime service, that we bought in 2001, that's still ticking along just fine.

I think that's really a bad hard drive.

With no cable connected, the unit can't buffer two streams of live TV. So there's much less stress on the drive.

Once you connect the cable, the drive must write two streams of video 24 hours a day. Even if it's analog (even though most is digital these days) that still puts a lot more stress on the drive than having no cable connected.

I'd try a replacement hard drive. See them here, by model number:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-upgrade.php
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X