SWM8 Cable Runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM8 Cable Runs

I currently have an old 18" dish on a pole about 100' from my house. I have three SD receivers with one being about 100' from the entry to the house. I want to upgrade the dish to a slimline 5 lnb and use a SWM8 for one new HD-DVR receiver while continuing to use two of the SD receivers for now. The HD-DVR will be the one furtherest away from the entry. Ideally, I would like to put the SWM8 in the middle of the 200' run at the entry point to the house and the power injector at the DVR in the house. All of the cable is RG-6 solid core. I know I've seen somewhere that the max distance is 40' between the dish and SWM8 but I know that real world is different. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The 100' from the SWM to the HD DVR is not a problem, and you can run the SD receivers off of the SWM8 legacy ports.

The bigger issue *could* be the 100' from the dish to the SWM8. You'd have to try it to know for sure, but you might need a polarity locker (which requires power and is not weatherproof) somewhere between the SWM8 and the dish; it could possibly go right before the SWM8 and be fine, I just can't tell you that for certain.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Would it be better to mount the SWM8 at the dish which would mean it would be about 200' to the furtherest DVR? I think I saw somewhere that 250' was max with a 1X4 splitter.

Comment

That would plausibly work better; the 200' should not be an issue if you are using a 1x4.

Comment

Thanks, I'll probably try that and see if it works. I want to install the new dish and align it to make sure everything is working before I see about getting a new DVR. Can I run the three legacy receivers I have off the SWM8 without a input on the SWM8 port? I figured I would have to connect a cable to the SWM port from the power adapter to power the SWM8 but there wouldn't be anything connected to the other side of the power adapter.

Comment

I honestly don't know if you need the SWM power inserter if you are using only legacy ports, but it would not hurt. Just run a coax from SWM1 to the power inserter and, as you mentioned, don't connect from the power inserter to any receiver.

Comment

Working...
            X