Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR22 and HR24, can't get swm to work

Hi,
    I had an existing HR22 DVR and added an HR24 to my system, so that I could have whole home DVR and HD in my bedroom. I was told I also need a SWM to get the whole home dvr. (I have both dvr's networked on my home network already).

So, I bought a SWM 8 plus the 29v power supply. First thing, I removed the BBC's from the end of my lines. I hooked it up with my older HR22 on SWM 1 with the power supply in line. I hooked up all cables coming from my dish to the appropriately labeled ports on the SWM. I hooked up my HR24 to the SWM2 port. (This is the setup as pictured on the diagrams on swm8.com) I went in to the setup on both receivers and changed them from (multiswitch to swm). The HR22 came up where I could watch tv, however I thought I was supposed to get 2 tuners but it only works as 1. Is there additional setup I need to do to get this functionality?

Secondly, the HR22 never would recognize the multiswitch. Can anybody offer me suggestions on this?

I guess I want set up to do whole home dvr and have two tuners on my upstairs dvr without running another coax. I thought the swm sounded like the answer to these problems. I would appreciate any help or suggestions. I am pretty good with technical things and have many multimeters and other test equipment, so if anyone has items for me to test I am capable. I am just not familiar with these swms and some of the newer dish components.

Thanks,
    Cory
    [email protected]

You may have to repeat satellite setup to tell the unit to use both tuners, not just one.

Also, the HR22 is going to need a DECA, see:

MRV / DECA / DIRECTV Equipment

Comment

So will I need the DECA just to get the HR22 to work at all? I can't get any signal on it at all with the SWM.

Comment

The DECA is only for multi-room viewing.

Comment

OK, that is good to know on the deca. Right now, I want to focus on getting the swm working at all. For some reason I can not get the HR22 to detect the SWM. When I set it up for SWM in satellite setup, it says "cannot detect swm". This is with the power inverter installed inline between the SWM 1 port and the HR22. I had the HR24 hooked up to the SWM 2 port, and it worked but would not see the second tuner. Even though, I selected SWM and Dual tuner options in the satellite setup menu.

Does this sound like a defective SWM or can anybody offer suggestions?

Thanks,
          Cory

Comment

I'd suggest you try going from SWM1 to power inserter, then power inserter directly to the HR24 and see if you can get it to work properly on two tuners ( you may have to go through satellite setup again). Do not connect any b-band converter to Hr24 (or to any receiver connected to a SWM).

Comment

Thanks. I tried that. I hooked up the HR24 to the SWM1 with the power supply in line. It worked perfect right away with two tuners on one wire. My Hr22 still wouldn't work no matter what. I brought it upstairs and hooked it where the hr24 was (leaving the power supply and everything exactly as it was with the Hr24). When I powered it on, it worked perfectly right away with two tuners. I began to think my cable was bad downstairs, even though it worked fine without the swm. I then hooked up my hr24 downstairs on the "bad" cable (hooked to swm 2). It worked perfectly as soon as I hooked it up.

So in short, all had to do was put these receivers in each others place and everything works perfect. I am not worried now, as it is working. But has anyone heard of a situation like this? Why would the cable not work for the hr22, but work for the hr24? Is the 22 more sensitive to noise or signal loss?

Cory

Comment

Working...
              X