A dish too far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dish too far?

I'm an EE working on a new residence for a client. The TV rub: it will be ~1000 ft from the dish location to the house. (Please don't tell me the client should just move his new house from the redwood forest out into the field...)

I met a DirectTV engineer at a party this weekend, and he extolled SWM. It does look like it has many advantages. But since it seems to use really wide channels, we're talking up to 2Ghz; and guess what, the coax losses will be almost as big as the redwoods.

I'm back to keeping the receivers at the equipment building, and running HDMI over fiber

Is there an answer I'm missing? [Waveguide, maybe??] What I need is a SWM module with a fiber output....

There are certainly SWM amplifiers that can do the trick, but they need AC power, approximately every 200 feet along the 1000 foot run. If you think that's doable, post back more details and we can help you figure it out.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I can't see installing a line of amps in sealed buried enclosures across the field and woods. I think the HDMI solution is better all the way around.

Which does not say the RF end could not be SWM8 based; the OTA input sounds attractive. Do the receivers then have a channel range that covers them as well?

Comment

I really don't understand the question - sorry.

But how would you control the unit back at the head end?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X