Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Dtv installation - swm

Hi all.

I am going to order directv soon, and am curious to as how to get the wiring setup. I want to pre-run some cable before DirecTv comes out for the install, because I will be dropping wire from the attic to basement.

My questions are:
    I know I don't know what kind of dish Dtv will install on my roof (meaning one with SWM built in or not). If it is not a SWM dish I assume 4 cables coming in from roof.
    1. What if it is a SWM dish? How many cables come in from the outside, and how do I split them from inside (see below questions)

2. I have 4 bedrooms fed via the attic (only 1 room currently has TV). But for sake of argument assume all Rooms have a TV. I assume I can get a 1X4 splitter for this?
    3. I have 3 Tvs, 1 or 2 DVRs. All fed from the basement. Can I run 1 cable down from the attic and have another 1x4 splitter in the basement to feed the TVs?

Thanks so much!

Chris

oh and one other question...how does the deca work do I need to run a separate cable to my router?

Thanks again

Comment

The ideal wiring is to 'home run' wire, meaning cables from each room run to a central location, then the line(s) from the dish go to that location.

There is no real way to know what DIRECTV will install, but in a 4-room install, we always use a SWM dish. I think it's safe to run one wire from the roof down if you want.

To wire broadband, you have to run a coax or ethernet from the router to the location of a splitter. With a SWM, you can basically think of DIRECTV wiring like you do for wiring cable. Splitting the signal is basically fine.

Comment

yes ...you have to have a line for the router...

if you are doing mrv .. you have to have swm ... swm is single wire ... so one wire from the dish is all you need ... but id run more ... like at least for local ant..

you can do the 4 way ... but you only can supply 8 tuners... dvr is 2 tuners...

Comment

Originally posted by ebmsjml View Post
          yes ...you have to have a line for the router...

if you are doing mrv .. you have to have swm ... swm is single wire ... so one wire from the dish is all you need ... but id run more ... like at least for local ant..

you can do the 4 way ... but you only can supply 8 tuners... dvr is 2 tuners...
          You can actually do MRV without SWM, if you have ethernet cables run to each receiver.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Kind of what I did when I built my network into my closet. Has 4 CATV ports and 4 Network Cat 6 ports all converging to one location. Used to have DirectTV now I use basic cable with a ReplayTV box and an AppleTV. Also holds my NAS drive, HD Homerun, Cable Modem, Netlink Gigabyte Switch, Apple Extreme router plus Network Printer. Nice to have everything together.

Last edited by dgicre; 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X